Imatch refuses to open - global settings database issue?

Started by VAQS2015, February 02, 2015, 02:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAQS2015

The last time I used IMatch was Friday the 30th. I closed the program and backed up my data as usual. When I tried to open it up today, however, I got a Critical Error message with the following:

-

An error occurred while attempting to open the global settings database:

C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\config\imatch5.pts

IMatch cannot continue. Check the application log file for additional information.

-

Upon checking the problem, I found that not only did the imatch5.pts file not exist, but there was no config folder either. Did they just not install? I tried uninstalling IMatch and reinstalling a fresh version. Same problem. I even went into the registry and deleted everything related to IMatch apart from my database files. Same problem. I'm assuming that the solution is to find and add the config folder, but if it's not included in the installation package, then where would it be?

I've only encountered this problem on a single computer - the database in question is still accessible through IMatch from other devices. Any information on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Mario

QuoteUpon checking the problem, I found that not only did the imatch5.pts file not exist, but there was no config folder either.

Huh?

This folder is created during installation and is then never changed. IMatch will not work without this folder, or the other folders created in

C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5

during installation. IMatch never removes these folders.

It would be helpful if you can attach a log file.
Run a repair of IMatch from the Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove software. This will re-install all folders, settings files, scripts etc. Then try to find out which application or operation removed these folders. IMatch never removes them.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

VAQS2015

Quote from: Mario on February 02, 2015, 04:39:30 PMIt would be helpful if you can attach a log file.
Run a repair of IMatch from the Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove software. This will re-install all folders, settings files, scripts etc. Then try to find out which application or operation removed these folders. IMatch never removes them.

I ran the repair as you said, but I still got the same error message. The config folder just isn't appearing. There's one labeled config_files, but that contains two files, convert_regions.config and ExifTool_config. No imatch5.pts.

Which folder would I find the log file in, and what would the file name be?

Mario

You are looking in the IMatch program files folder. The config files are not stored there.
Check the folder name I included above for the proper location. IMatch also uses files and folders in the program data folder. The physical location of this folder depends on the Windows version, but is logged to the log file.

For information about the log file, where to find it, see the IMatch help (type log file into the help index).
The log file is stored in the TEMP folder on your system. How to find and open this folder is explained in the IMatch help.
You can open the IMatch help from the START menu.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

VAQS2015

I found the config folder and files. They're all there, in the right place, but I don't know why IMatch isn't recognizing them.

I located the log file and attached it to this post. Hopefully it should help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

It seems that the settings database has become damaged.
Please delete it and rename the .bak version to .pts (the .bak contains the previous version of the database).

Did anything happen to this system? Power failure? Blue screen? disk failure?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

VAQS2015

Quote from: Mario on February 02, 2015, 07:02:07 PMDid anything happen to this system? Power failure? Blue screen? disk failure?

None of the above. I backed up the database, closed IMatch, and shut down the computer at the end of the day on Friday.

I changed the .bak to .pts, no effect. I think this might be due to uninstalling and reinstalling IMatch earlier today.

Should I try uninstalling IMatch, deleting the photools folder in Program Data, then reinstalling IMatch so the config folder is replaced?

Mario

If the .bak also does not work, it is also damaged? I cannot tell without the log file.
Delete the .PTS and IMatch will create a new settings database with default values. Or restore the backup of that file from Thursday.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

VAQS2015

I tried restoring several backups, from Thursday back to Tuesday. No good.

I deleted the folder in Program Data, reinstalled the program, and it at least loaded. I ran Database Diagnostics, but from what I can tell, the data is almost completely corrupted, and now it crashes and freezes while I'm trying to reorganize the files. I think I'm going to have to start all over, but I'll see if I can restore a backup version.

Mario

The settings database is not linked to the your IMatch databases.
If IMatch fails to load the database after you have deleted the settings database (to reset everything to factory defaults) you have to deal with several unrelated databases and files which are all corrupted. This rather sounds like a disk problem or maybe some amok application / virus...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

VAQS2015

I can't find a way to save backup databases, only the settings.

The program at least works now. I guess I'll have to start over with a fresh database, though.

Mario

1. Get a decent backup program. IMatch databases are just files and you can backup them together with all your other important files every day.
2. If you don't make at least daily backups of all your important files, you're destined to learn a hard lesson.
3. If you don't want to use the built-in backup in Windows and neither one of the available solutions like TrueImage, use at least IMatch Pack & Go to backup your database, settings, scripts and other files. See Pack & Go in the IMatch help for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

gunda

I had a similar problem recently.  A bad appliance caused a power outage.  IMatch had been open, but without any database being open.  So when I restarted the computer and IMatch there was no database corruption, but I had the same message about the .pts file.  It was odd that the bak copy didn't seem to kick in.  I resorted a backup and was able to continue.

I assumed that the corruption was related to the power outage.  The fact that this was at about the same time as the OP last had IMatch open is probably just a coincidence.

I kept the corrupted .pts file.  Is it of any interest?  Should I upload it to the ftp server (13Mb), and if so should I create a fresh bug report?

Mario

A damaged file will not help me much. I just forward the error messages I receive from the database system.
PTS files are used in the most safe mode, and should never corrupt. They are set to write-back all data immediately and wait for confirmation of Windows that the data is written. This is slow, but for the settings database performance is of no concern.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator