Category colors

Started by Lord_Helmchen, December 23, 2014, 03:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Helmchen

Inspires by Mario's current Know-How article (http://www.photools.com/3594/visual-clues-improve-workflow/) about coloring category names, I started some more color coding (I was using it mainly to show tasks in my workflow).

I found, that I could inherit color of a child category from it's parent, but I haven't found a way to force that automatically from parent category. If I have a top category like "Where" and many child categories for all places, it is quite work intense to manually change all children categories to "inherit coloring".

Unfortunately I couldn't select multiple categories at same time to change this property. And this won't help for substructure either.

So is there a way to do this in a more convenient way?

JohnZeman

Lord_Helmchen

John,
Thank you very much! Sounds like a good approach.  8)

But it has disadvantage that I have to tag all categories when I create a new one (e.g. my "Where" category).

So another option  in addition to "Color coding active" like "Entail color coding" would be perfect.

Mario

When you use the "add multiple categories" command you can set an option that all new categories inherit the parent color.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Lord_Helmchen

Hm. But than only works for new categories and not a bit installed base. And that also doesn't prevent forgetting of proper setting in new cats.

JohnZeman

Quote from: Lord_Helmchen on December 23, 2014, 03:53:16 PM
John,
But it has disadvantage that I have to tag all categories when I create a new one (e.g. my "Where" category).

I don't understand what you mean by this, can you explain further?

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: JohnZeman on December 23, 2014, 06:02:55 PM
Quote from: Lord_Helmchen on December 23, 2014, 03:53:16 PM
John,

I don't understand what you mean by this, can you explain further?
Sorry, was really too short version.  :-[

I could run your script and then it'll adjust all selected categories. But if I later create a new child, grant child etc. I have to remember to also set color settings appropriate. As example I create Where|Germany|Hannover|Rathaus, I'll have to remember to set color to inherit.

I'm looking for an automated way. Possibly just with using a parent/root category as "template" for color when creating a new child would be sufficient.

I hope now it's more clear what I meant.

Schmidtze

Hi,

I just also found the article (http://www.photools.com/3594/visual-clues-improve-workflow/) and I have the same problem with the folder tree. I have 2 base folders, "final" and "raw" and I want to colour them in green and red including all subfolders (hundreds). Is there maybe a similar script to the script mentioned in the answer above? Unfortunately it's not possible to set the colour for all selected folders at once...

I just logged in here to create a new topic, but I think the question regarding the folders fits also in this discussion.

Best regards
Friedemann

JohnZeman

Quote from: Lord_Helmchen on December 23, 2014, 06:23:38 PM
But if I later create a new child, grant child etc. I have to remember to also set color settings appropriate. As example I create Where|Germany|Hannover|Rathaus, I'll have to remember to set color to inherit.

If I understand you correctly, this is a situation I also have quite often.  And when I do after adding the new subcategories I just select the parent category and run the script again.  It should color code all brand new subcategories that do not have the category color set to inherit.

Mario

QuoteBut if I later create a new child, grant child etc. I have to remember to also set color settings appropriate.

No. As I said above, if you use the "Add multiple categories" command, you can enable the option that all categories you create inherit colors.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Quote from: Schmidtze on December 23, 2014, 06:32:40 PM
I just also found the article (http://www.photools.com/3594/visual-clues-improve-workflow/) and I have the same problem with the folder tree. I have 2 base folders, "final" and "raw" and I want to colour them in green and red including all subfolders (hundreds). Is there maybe a similar script to the script mentioned in the answer above? Unfortunately it's not possible to set the colour for all selected folders at once...

Friedemann as far as I know there isn't a script to do that but I think the one I mentioned above could be modified to work with folders and subfolders instead of categories.

Schmidtze

Quote from: JohnZeman on December 23, 2014, 06:44:51 PM
Friedemann as far as I know there isn't a script to do that but I think the one I mentioned above could be modified to work with folders and subfolders instead of categories.

yes of course, you are right, I just check it...  :)

Regards
Friedemann

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: Mario on December 23, 2014, 06:42:37 PM
QuoteBut if I later create a new child, grant child etc. I have to remember to also set color settings appropriate.

No. As I said above, if you use the "Add multiple categories" command, you can enable the option that all categories you create inherit colors.
Sure, I understood what you meant. But this only help if I create multiple categories at same time. Then I could easily set this for all. But if I create one new child on demand, I might not remember this.

It's because I'm not a computer and I may fail remember to make all setting correct every time.  :o

Schmidtze

Here it is for folders  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Schmidtze

Maybe it would be a good idea to combine both scripts into one. I don't know at the moment if it's possible to detect if currently the folder tree is active or the categories tree. If it is, then the script could decide what to do...

Schmidtze

I don't find the possibility to get the currently focused view. Is this possible, maybe by using the Application object?

Best regards
Friedemann

JohnZeman

Quote from: Schmidtze on December 23, 2014, 07:13:53 PM
I don't find the possibility to get the currently focused view. Is this possible, maybe by using the Application object?

Best regards
Friedemann

At the moment I don't see a way to get this either...

Mario

You can get the active file window from the Application and then check its Type member.

Dim fw As FileWindow
   Set fw = Application.GetFileWindow(imfwtCurrent)

If fw.Type = imfwtMediaAndFolders Then
      Debug.Print "Media & Folders active"
   ElseIf fw.Type = imfwtCategories Then
      Debug.Print "Categories active"
   Else
      Debug.Print "Other active"
   End If
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

It always bugged me too when I had to change color settings for multiple folders or categories.

So I've spent some time today and now folder color settings and category color settings (and sealed and the 'calc' settings) are now applied to all selected folders / categories when you change the settings in the property grid.  A small Christmas present for you  :)

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Lord_Helmchen