(5.2.14) Understanding (composite) tags and tag manager

Started by akirot, November 21, 2014, 08:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akirot

I understand composite tags are copied or derived from other tags in the file. They are not native and don't exist for themselves.
In my environment ECP shows e.g. HyperfocalDistance (and others).
The release notes say: "IMatch now again includes certain Composite maker notes which were disabled in previous builds:
... HyperfocalDistance ..."
If I click "default" in Tag Manager (and reload Metadata) shouldn't the Metadatabrowser show HyperfocalDistance? It doesn't.
Or must I manually select all underlying tags of a composite "tag", too - despite release notes saying the respective composite tag is included?
Or are "Composite maker notes" [as written in the release notes] different to "composite tags" [as shown in ECP]? Do I simply misread?
Or should I better forget about all composite tags in the context of Tag Manager?
Should I interpret all (in Tag Manager) selectable tags as optional tags which Imatch does not need but which I may import if I want to show them directly?
Please could somebody confirm or adjust my understanding? Thank You!

Mario

IMatch imports Composite tags automatically. They are hidden from the Tag Manager and you can neither enable or disable them.
Did you reload the metadata for the files in question after installing 5.1.14 so the hyperfocal tag is created and imported again?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

akirot

Yes, I definitely reloaded metadata (to see the effect I added some other tags which were shown then).
But it has been late and I probably haven't seen the wood for trees.
I'll check again in the evening.
At least you confirmed my understanding - the in the release notes mentioned composite tags should become visible in the metadata browser (indepedent of any selection in the tag manager).

Mario

Composite tags are imported always by IMatch and will show in the browser layout in the Metadata Panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

akirot

I just checked again. Metadata reloaded, Hyperfocaldistance not shown - please see attached screen shot of a file (ECP output and composite section of metadata browser).
It's a CR2 (5DMKIII) file.
Probably we should not spend too much time on this and simplify the whole stuff - just a gut feeling...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Provide sample file.
Provide output of ECP (list metadata) for a file.
Anything reported by that, sans some deliberately skipped tags, should be imported.
IMatch by default imports all composite tags, except

ImageHeight
ImageSize
ImageWidth
Orientation
BlueBalance
RedBalance
Keywords
ThumbnailImage
Description
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator