Automatic Geotagging

Started by weixing, November 12, 2014, 02:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weixing

Hi,
    Does IMatch 5 have automatic geotagging features? I had GPX track files from my GPS and I want to tag my photos quickly. Any idea and recommendation??

Thanks and have a nice day.

weixing

Hi,
    I found a software called "GeoSetter" that can do the auto Geo tagging on the RAW files, so I try it. But I found something strange after tagging all my photos: The Canon DPP software and GeoSetter show all photo with the correct GPS coordinate, but some photos GPS coordinate cannot be "seen" by IMatch 5. See the attachment for one example: The Canon DPP can see the GPS coordinate, but not the IMatch 5.

Also, the copyright and author information in those RAW files also cannot be display in IMatch 5, but DPP can display all those information in the RAW files.

I try "Rescan" the folders and images, but also didn't solve the issue. Any recommendation??

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ferdinand

It is my understanding that IMatch does have automatic geo-tagging.  I don't use it, but if you read the page in the help file on the maps panel.  It is explained there.

As for why your data doesn't show, I think you need to compare your Geosetter preferences and your IMatch preferences.  I think that Geosetter is set to save the information in one of the possible locations, and IMatch is looking for it in another.  Geosetter may be saving the information in the CR2 file or in an XMP sidecar file.  How is Geosetter configured?  What are your Metadata2 preferences for the file format CR2 in IMatch?

Mario

Quote from: weixing on November 12, 2014, 02:35:01 AM
Hi,
    Does IMatch 5 have automatic geotagging features? I had GPX track files from my GPS and I want to tag my photos quickly. Any idea and recommendation??

IMatch does currently not import GPS coordinates from track files. IMatch fully supports geo-coding via the Map Panel, and also reverse-geocoding. Just type geo into the help index to all related information.

For importing track files, use either the software that comes with your tracking device, or a specialized software like GeoSetter. ExifTool can also import data from track files into image files, see the ExifTool web site for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

Geosetter: Note that there is a script for imatch to call Geosetter with the selected files.

I use Geosetter and find it to work quite reliably. ( I tag jpgs only though)

Watch the setting: Geosetter can rewrite the file and make a backup - which probably confuses Imatch.
Just have geosetter write the GPS info into the/a XMP file for RAW (CR2) files.

Carlo Didier

Another possibility, which I usually use, is to geotag upon import with Breeze Downloader Pro. Saves the additional step with Geosetter.

Mario

I think it can also be done via the ExifTool Command Processor directly in IMatch.
I don't have any track logs and matching images available at the moment (if somebody could provide some samples that would be great).

As explained on

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/geotag.html

ExifTool can import data directly from track logs into all files in a folder, with a number of options. This means that a simple ECP template in IMatch could do the job, and IMatch picks up the modified files automatically afterwards.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

weixing

Hi,
   I set the Geosetter to write directly into the RAW file, so no xmp sidecar files were created. The strange part is that out of 209, the IMatch show 78 with GPS coordinate and 131 with no GPS coordinate, but Canon DPP show all RAW file with GPS coordinate. Anyway, I'll do some test and may be try the IMatch ExifTool Command Processor (need to figure out how to use it first).

By the way, how do I cancel the Metadata write-back for the RAW file? While learning to use the software, some time the IMatch show that some images got Metadata to be written back (must be me accidentally set something), so I want to cancel the write back... currently, I just delete the xmp sidecar.  :P

Mario

1. IMatch internally uses XMP metadata for most purposes. The GPS XMP tags are filled by IMatch when it maps EXIF GPS data into XMP on import. Since you work with RAW files, XMP is expected by default in sidecar files. I don't know what misch-masch of metadata you have produced with your other tools, but I would need to see a RAW file and the XMP sidecar file for a case where IMatch does not show the GPS data to tell you why.

I assume that you mean that IMatch does not show GPS data in the Metadata Panel for these files?
Please check the files in the Metadata Panel with the Browser layout to see all metadata available for your files. It should have a GPS record as part of the EXIF, and also GPS records in the XMP record.

2. When you change metadata, IMatch writes the changes back to the files. You can disable this under Edit > Preferences > Background Processing. Then you can write-back metadata by clicking the pen icon or using the corresponding commands in the Command menu. See the IMatch help on write-back for details. The default is to not automatically write-back metadata.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

weixing

Hi,
Quote from: Mario on November 12, 2014, 11:54:10 AM
1. IMatch internally uses XMP metadata for most purposes. The GPS XMP tags are filled by IMatch when it maps EXIF GPS data into XMP on import. Since you work with RAW files, XMP is expected by default in sidecar files. I don't know what misch-masch of metadata you have produced with your other tools, but I would need to see a RAW file and the XMP sidecar file for a case where IMatch does not show the GPS data to tell you why.

I assume that you mean that IMatch does not show GPS data in the Metadata Panel for these files?
Please check the files in the Metadata Panel with the Browser layout to see all metadata available for your files. It should have a GPS record as part of the EXIF, and also GPS records in the XMP record.
There is no xmp sidecar file as the GPS coordinate is written directly to the RAW files. The Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) software indicate that all the RAW files have the GPS coordinate and the GPS coordinate is correct when I check them using DPP... just that somehow IMatch failed to recognize them... Also, IMatch show no copyright info on those affected RAW files, but Canon DPP software can see the copyright info as those info are written by the DSLR.

Anyway, I copy out all those affected RAW files using the Window explorer to another folder where IMatch is not monitoring, then I delete them in IMatch. After that, I copy all those affected RAW files back to the folder and do a "Rescan" for IMatch to add them back again and now IMatch can recognized the GPS coordinate and show the copyright info of those RAW files.

Quote from: Mario on November 12, 2014, 11:54:10 AM
2. When you change metadata, IMatch writes the changes back to the files. You can disable this under Edit > Preferences > Background Processing. Then you can write-back metadata by clicking the pen icon or using the corresponding commands in the Command menu. See the IMatch help on write-back for details. The default is to not automatically write-back metadata.
Basically, I was exploring the IMatch various panel without any intention of changing anything, but suddenly I saw one of the selected image had a pen icon... I had no idea what I did that cause the changes and don't want the changes to be written back to the files. Is there a way of cancelling the write-back of the selected image or view what had been changes?

Mario

The pen indicates that the file has metadata in the database which is not yet written.
If you move the mouse cursor to the pen, a tooltip will tell you which data.

You can rescan file (Shift+Ctrl+F5, then choose reload metadata) to replace the data in the database. Note that some metadata tags may be protected (Edit > Preferences > Metadata 2: Protection) to protect unwritten metadata in IMatch from being accidentally replaced because you modify files in other applications.

All this is of course explained in full detail in the help. Search for write-back.

IMatch usually has no problems imported GPS data. GPS is really important for many users. Without looking at one of your files (maybe your files have embedded XMP and a sidecar file) I cannot say anything specific. There are also many options you can change which may have an influence on this. IMatch is very flexible when it comes to incorporate metadata produced by other applications, cameras, scanners and other devices.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

AnaDia

I used Geosetter for geotagging files in the past. But then I tried IMatch ExifTool Command Processor and it works very well.
I lost my finally found settings, because I had to reset my settings database. But I remember, that it was important to use "Run for each file in selection" in combination with "{File.FullName}". It needs more time, but works perfect for every count of pictures.
For the exiftool options have a look at the link that Mario wrote some posts before.