Metadata preferences - "Also assign synonyms"

Started by DigPeter, November 11, 2014, 05:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

The help topic states:
Also assign Synonyms - If this option is enabled and the thesaurus lookup finds a hierarchical keyword with synonyms, the synonyms are also assigned to the file.

Is the implication correct that, when this is not checked, synonyms will not be assigned to hierarchical keywords?  If this is correct, I will open a bug report, because in my case synonyms are assigned whether the option is checked or not? 

Nytewulf

If you change the setting, you have to restart IMatch before it takes effect.

Also, the keyword with synonyms has to actually be inside a hierarchical structure in the thesaurus.  Synonyms of a top-level entry are always included.  I think this is the way it should work, but Mario will have to clarify whether or not that's what was intended.

John

DigPeter

Thanks John.  My synonyms are mostly at leaf level in my hierarchical structure.  When a keyword (KW) is assigned through thesaurus, any synonym for that KW is automatically assigned, irrespective of the setting, including after restarting.

Mario

This setting is applied when importing keywords, during the ingest phase. Please refer to the help for details. Click F1 while the dialog is visible.

When you setup synonyms in your thesaurus, they will automatically assigned when you assign the parent keyword in the Keyword Panel or elsewhere. This is the function of synonyms and it cannot be toggled off.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Nytewulf

Quote from: Mario on November 12, 2014, 01:34:46 PM
This setting is applied when importing keywords, during the ingest phase. Please refer to the help for details. Click F1 while the dialog is visible.

When you setup synonyms in your thesaurus, they will automatically assigned when you assign the parent keyword in the Keyword Panel or elsewhere. This is the function of synonyms and it cannot be toggled off.

I experimented with the setting before posting, and changing it did toggle the inclusion of synonyms on and off when entering keywords (a restart of IMatch was required before the new setting took effect.  [However, I did manually create the hierarchy -- although I don't think that should make a difference in the behavior].  I've since gone back and reproduced that behavior.  Maybe it's an undocumented feature. :-)

John

Mario

Can't follow, sorry.

The synonyms setting is applied when IMatch maps flat IPTC keywords into hierarchical keywords and you enable the thesaurus lookup. When IMatch imports keywords from IPTC->XMP, it looks the keywords up in the thesaurus, and when it finds them, it also adds the synonyms as hierarchical keywords. This setting is used when IMatch ingests files, initially, after an update, after a write-back. It is not used when you work with the keyword panel or similar.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook