Two GUI questions

Started by clpratt, November 10, 2014, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clpratt

Question #1. When I display the Media & Folders panel on the left of the screen it always defaults to centre justify. Is it possible to change default to left justify.

Question #2. When I use the mouse scroll wheel in the Metadata panel each click moves the list by about 16 lines, making it difficult to follow. (In any other application it scrolls about 3 lines). Is it possible to reduce the scrolling per click.

Chris

Mario

1. I don't understand. The Media & Folders panel is docked left and cannot be undocked?

2. IMatch by default scrolls maybe 3 lines. But that may depend on your scroll wheel settings. IMatch just reacts on "wheel moved by n ticks" messages by Windows.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

Mario,
1: The panel is docked left as you say, but I want the view inside the panel to be left justified. Then I get a view of all the file icons and the start of all texts.
2: Mouse is set to 1 line per click.

Chris

Mario

1. I don't understand. The tree control is left-justified, no other way? Or do you mean the file window? A screen shot would help lots here...
2. The metadata panel scrolls about 1/4 of a page for each mouse spin. That's by design.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

1: Screenshot "Folders&Media1" shows default display of folder tree at startup. (sort of centre justified)
Screenshot "Folders&Media2" shows with bottom slider moved fully left and is how I would like it to start up or restart next time.

2: The design of scroll 1/4 of a page is very course and causes me to visually loose the entry I am viewing when I scroll. Can the scroll be reduced? How do other users feel?

ooops attached 2 copies of each screenshot, can't see how to remove.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Your folder names are much to long to be displayed in the small panel site you give to the Tree. Make the Panel wider. Windows will automatically shift the tree control to show the selected entry, so this is why it moves to the right.

1/4 of the panel height should not scroll that much - unless you use a very small panel height. Since this never came up in the past two years of IMatch Beta and Final, I doubt many user will see this as a 'problem'. You can always scroll line by line using the scroll bar, if absolute required.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

relevanzraum

I think, what clpratt requests is, that the Media & Folders Panel should start with the horizontal scrollbar in the leftmost position. That's a good idea, though not of topmost priority.

Mario

Quote from: relevanzraum on November 11, 2014, 04:37:07 AM
I think, what clpratt requests is, that the Media & Folders Panel should start with the horizontal scrollbar in the leftmost position. That's a good idea, though not of topmost priority.
As I tried to explain, Windows automatically ensures that the selected entry in a tree control is fully visible. And if the names are too long to fit into the available window width, or the hierarchy is very deep, this involves some scrolling. To the left or the right, depending on which Windows version is used (RTL or LTR).

I could of course temporarily stop other work and figure out a way to overcome the standard Windows behavior and how to forcefully scroll the tree control back. I'm sure I can do it. Maybe I need to come up with different work-arounds for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10...

And I'm also sure that other users will start to complain, because their folder names are no longer entirely visible. And then I will need to add an option, like "Don't scroll tree control automatically" to satisfy both parties. And document it. And maintain this across all Windows platforms forever...

I think I'll stick to how Windows handles this by default for now. It's easy overcome by just widen the panel so it can show the entire folder name.

Quote...though not of topmost priority.

If you take a look at the feature request board, you'll see that there are about 300 feature and change requests made by other users already. Plenty of work for the next time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

relevanzraum

I thought I could help understanding the problem.
I would like to take the opportunity to ask a question (which perhaps would belong to the general diskussion forum?):
Is there a possibility to priorize errors or feature requests.
Sometimes there is something I would call "nice to have" but of priority 99. It means it could be implemented en passant with another change when it does not afford much effort, but in no other case.
Everybody understands that there are quite a few other tasks that have to be done before implementing request of priority 99.

Richard

QuoteIs there a possibility to priorize errors or feature requests.

Mario prioritizes them all the time and has done so for many years.

Mario

If you look over at the FR board, you'll see many posts which have not spawned any discussion at all. Often users come up with an idea which would help them for their specific problem/situation/requirement and post a feature request. These most often go unnoticed and age.

Others get +1 votes from other users pretty quickly, or spawn a discussion thread. These get more attention.

If you find some feature requests which you consider important, you can always comment or +1 them.

I know that there is a ranking/voting plug-in for the SMF software which runs this board. But I generally stay away from 3rd party add-ons or extensions written by others because they usually complicate things, can create an update hell when the next SMF update comes out and breaks external extensions etc...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

relevanzraum

By the way: I have some experience with products of softel
http://www.softelvdm.com/Products
They offer GUI elements as ActiveX or DLL based. Really excellent software.
I am sure you have a tried and tested application development system and it would not be a good idea to change a component. Just in case you are sometime looking for GUI elements I can recommend these products.