Questions for Formulas

Started by voronwe, November 17, 2014, 09:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voronwe

Hi

as I started now with searching with formulas, I have 2 Questions

1) Do I always have to make a Category for Formulas or is there a special "Search"-View?

2) How to add Dates in a formula, e.g. a Formular like
"Stuttgart" AND "Water" in 2014
or
"Stuttgart" AND "Water" on 20.6.2014
or
"Stuttgart" AND "Water" between 20.6.2014 and 30.8.2014

I could not find this so far in the help

Hope that somebody can help me out

Ferdinand

I would have thought that you could do what you want with a filter, without having to resort to creating a formula category.  All the things that you use in your formula should be available in the filter panel. 

However they may not be visible at the moment.  If you click the little gear icon in the filter panel toolbar you can enable more sub-panels.

Note that the filter works on the current context (folder, category, etc).  If you want to filter/search across the entire database you need to select @All in the category view or the database node in the media and folders view.  You may also need to un-pause the thumb window after you apply the filter.

Mario

That can all be handled via the Filter Panel or the File Window search bar.

If you have not used these, please read the corresponding help topics. Just type filter  in the Help index to find the info.

Filters allow you to limit the files you see in the file window to files with specific keywords, ratings, labels, collections, dates, times, categories and a lot more attributes. The File Window search bar (in the toolbar above the file window) allows you to quickly search whatever is currently displayed in the file window to file names, keywords and other metadata.

The time line view is ideal to look at images taken at specific days or during specific periods. You can combine it with a category filter to get what you want without formulas or anything.

For example:

1. Switch to the Time line View. Now click on the node for the year 2014.
The File Window shows you all files taken in that year.

2. In the Filter Panel, make sure the Category Filter is visible.
Set the check box for the categories "Stuttgart" and "Water".

The file window now shows all files taken in 2014 which are assigned to the categories "Stuttgart" and "Water".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

voronwe

Thank a lot for the help with the filters, that was what I was searching for