How to display ICC Profile of a image in Metadata Custom Panel

Started by jarraun, November 05, 2014, 09:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarraun

Hi,

To late to think more.
Please, I´d like to display the ICC profile of my pics {File.MD.ICC_Profile::Main\desc\ProfileDescription\0} but can´t find it when configuring the layout of my Metadata Custom Panel. I certainly see this tag in the Metadata Browser ICC Profile section.
I´ve included in my layout these other tags with no luck, neither of them displays the ICC Profile of my images:
          {File.MD.Exif::Main\40961\ColorSpace\0}
          {File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\1700\iccprofilename\0}
          {File.MD.XMP::photoshop\ICCProfile\ICCProfileName\0}
          {File.MD.Exif::Main\50833\CurrentICCProfile\0}
          {File.MD.Exif::Main\50831\AsShotICCProfile\0}
Sure is an easy way to do it but can´t find out. :-[

Javier

Ferdinand

I use {File.MD.ICC_Profile::Main\desc\ProfileDescription\0}

You don't want the EXIF fields.  These are written by the camera when the photo was taken, and are not the embedded profile, which may be the same or may be different.  I.e.  You could shoot in AdobeRGB and later convert to sRGB, and the EXIF tag would still be AdobeRGB but the embedded profile will be (or should be) sRGB.

The XMP field is just mirroring the EXIF field.  I'm not sure about the photools variable, based on its name I'd have thought that it was a cache of the embedded profile, but perhaps not.

Mario

The iccprofilename photools tag is based on the following metadata tags:

XMP::photoshop\ICCProfile\ICCProfileName
Exif::Main\50833\CurrentICCProfile
Exif::Main\1\InteropIndex
Exif::Main\50831\AsShotICCProfile

It uses, top-down, whatever it finds first. For a typical image file you will get values like

AdobeRGB (1998)
Nikon AdobeWide RGB 4.0.0.3000
sRGB IEC61966-2.1
QTR_K7-SE-EEM
Profoto RGB
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Ferdinand on November 05, 2014, 10:51:34 PM
I use {File.MD.ICC_Profile::Main\desc\ProfileDescription\0}

Me too.
All other fields, mentioned by Mario, have mostly no values in it. But this one here has mostly something in it like

eciRGB v2
AdobeRGB (1998)

So I am going with this here.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Ferdinand

Quote from: Mario on November 06, 2014, 08:09:49 AM
The iccprofilename photools tag is based on the following metadata tags:

XMP::photoshop\ICCProfile\ICCProfileName
Exif::Main\50833\CurrentICCProfile
Exif::Main\1\InteropIndex
Exif::Main\50831\AsShotICCProfile

It uses, top-down, whatever it finds first. For a typical image file you will get values like

AdobeRGB (1998)
Nikon AdobeWide RGB 4.0.0.3000
sRGB IEC61966-2.1
QTR_K7-SE-EEM
Profoto RGB

But as per my previous comment, these will be set by the camera, or based on camera settings, and won't necessarily be the same as the embedded profile, will they?

I'd have thought it would make more sense to use the embedded profile as the first choice, if it exists, and only if there isn't one to work down that list.

Mario

I think ExifTool will apply some magic here and pull the most useful bit of info into the XMP tag.
Please check with one of your files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jarraun

QuoteI use {File.MD.ICC_Profile::Main\desc\ProfileDescription\0}

Sorry but the question was, why can I see this in the Metadata Browser ICC Profile section but cannot cofigure my Metadata Custom Panel to display this tag ?, I simply cannot find it in the variables.

Mario

All tags visible in the Browser can also be used in custom Metadata Panel layouts.
Metadata Panels don't use variables, they have direct access to all tags.

Note: IMatch 5.2.10 no longer imports metadata related ICC profiles by default. This is a massive amount of data that no longer needs caching.
If you really want to import data from ICC profiles stored in your files, you need to enable this in the Tag Manager.

I use the photools.com icc color profile name tag in my Metadata Panel layout:

To access tags from the ICC profile group, use the Search tag in the Tag Manager, type in ICC in the group field and you see all tags you can use:

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ferdinand

Quote from: Mario on November 06, 2014, 03:13:26 PM
I think ExifTool will apply some magic here and pull the most useful bit of info into the XMP tag.  Please check with one of your files.

Mostly the XMP tag has the right information, but not always.  Sometimes it's wrong (propagation *may* be a factor here) and for some JPGs in sRGB both the XMP and photoools variable are blank (some of these files were created by Capture One and others by Lightroom, so I don't think that the converter is to blame).  I still think that IMatch should use the embedded profile if there is one as the first choice for populating the photools colour profile variable.

Quote from: jarraun on November 07, 2014, 07:22:04 AM
QuoteI use {File.MD.ICC_Profile::Main\desc\ProfileDescription\0}

Sorry but the question was, why can I see this in the Metadata Browser ICC Profile section but cannot cofigure my Metadata Custom Panel to display this tag ?, I simply cannot find it in the variables.

Sorry, you're right.  That was the question.  It can be done but it's hard to find.  Choose the "search all tags" tab and type "ICC" in the "Group" box and "desc" in the "tag" box and it's "Profile Description" - the third tag listed under "ICC_Profile".

It is there but it's hard to find and you need to know where to look.

I've seen Mario's recommendation and I don't agree.  I've got files that have an embedded profile that have all these other variables blank.  I for one will continue to import ICC metadata because no other variable is 100% reliable in my DB

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

QuoteMostly the XMP tag has the right information, but not always.  Sometimes it's wrong (propagation *may* be a factor here) and for some JPGs in sRGB both the XMP and photoools variable are blank (some of these files were created by Capture One and others by Lightroom, so I don't think that the converter is to blame).  I still think that IMatch should use the embedded profile if there is one as the first choice for populating the photools colour profile variable.
Send me a sample file, please. If an application replaces or embeds a color profile, it is supposed to reset some of these tags. The source for the XMP variable are defined by the MWG and I rely on ET to get it right. The fallbacks I have coded are explained above.

QuoteI still think that IMatch should use the embedded profile if there is one as the first choice for populating the photools colour profile variable.
Is there a feature request for this already?

I have changed the configuration file so IMatch now by default skips ICC, except for some tags (profile name). This will allow users to see data for this tag without using the Tag Manager to manually include them. Any special tags on your list?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ferdinand

Quote from: Mario on November 07, 2014, 12:45:50 PM
Send me a sample file, please.

Unfortunately the best file to provide is a TIFF and too large to attach so I've uploaded it.

Quote from: Mario on November 07, 2014, 12:45:50 PM
Is there a feature request for this already?

Sure, if you think it's warranted.
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3669.msg24450#msg24450

Mario

I see no open feature request.

But I have now configured ICC_Profile::Main::desc\Profile Description to be included by default (all other ICC tags are still excluded). The iccprofilename photools.com tag now uses this tag as the primary source, then the four other potential sources I've listed above. For the ICC profile test files I have here (incuding some samples you have sent some time ago), there is no change. The iccprofilename tag shows the same info as before - the name of the embedded profile.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ferdinand

Thanks. I think that's a good change.  I uploaded a TIFF file earlier today that should exhibit changed behaviour, but I guess it's a bit academic now. 

It's only a small percentage of my images that had a discrepancy between the embedded profile and the other fields that are supposed to store the same information, so it's no surprise that images I previously sent don't have this problem.  I can't detect a common factor that causes this behaviour, but it is happening more frequently in recent months, so I suspect that something in my IMatch 5 workflow is part of the issue (note:  I said something in my workflow, not something in IMatch 5).

jarraun

Mario, Ferdinand, thanks again for th detailed instructions.

Not so difficult, I should have been able to find it out  :-[. I agree with Ferdinand that ICC_Profile::Main::desc\Profile Description tag meet my expectations as I can see Adobe RGB 1998 for my NEF and TIFF images and sRGB IEC61966-2.1 for my JPEG images as intended with my editor.

Mario

Did you try out the iccprofilename tag in IMatch 5.2.12? I've already included the change and this variable now first tries the name of the ICC profile.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jarraun

Mario,

I´ve included the iccprofilename photools tag in my Metadata Custom Panel and at the moment it always shows the same values as the ICC_Profile::Main::desc\Profile Description tag.

Best regards

Javier

Mario

This is possible if no other info is available or the info is correct.
Do your files contain ICC profiles? Is the name show for the ICC profile description tag different from what IMatch shows?

In case you had trimmed metadata in IMatch 5.2.10 (which did not import ICC profile description by default) you might need to reload the metadata in 5.1.12 so IMatch can import and use ICC profile description (which is now imported by default).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jarraun

I see it as normal behaviour, don´t you ?

Yes my files contain ICC profiles: AdobeRGB (1998) and sRGB IEC61966-2.1. The values displayed in "iccprofilename photools tag" and in "Profile Description tag ICC_Profile" correspond with embeded profiles by my image editor CNX2. I hope that makes sense and it´s normal.

Mario

I don't understand.

The original question was how to display the name of the embedded ICC profile. Is this now solved, or not?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jarraun