Database Diagnosis

Started by Darius1968, August 22, 2014, 10:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

I just now did a database diagnosis, and it's at this moment in the optimizing phase.  Is this optimizing phase while under the influence of the database diagnosis the same thing as performing a standalone Compact and Optimize of the database?  Also, in this particular database diagnosis, I got a yellow triangle with a black exclamation point for both the categories and the metadata.  What does this mean?  The diagnosis completed with no errors, but 119 warnings!  I'm attaching the log file of this diagnosis for your analysis.  Thanks. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

The Optimize step is not the same as compact. The optimize step analysis the database and optimizes (sic!) internal index structures to tailor the database to your usage pattern to improve performance. Compact re-creates the database, removing slack space, deleted data etc.

Please see also the more detailed description of the Database Diagnosis in the help.

The log file reports that some of your child categories are not properly linked to their parent category. These problems have been fixed. Is this an old database? New database? Created with a Beta version? Do you work with scripts? Did you experience a crash / power failure or similar? There are dozens of potential problems which may have caused this, but it is impossible to tell from a diagnosis log. Do you run the diagnosis often? If you run it daily we may have some hints about what and when these problems occurred.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

This database was created on April 2, 2014, with whatever was the current version of IMatch 5 Beta at that time (Beta version because it was in June that IMatch 5 was officially released).  I don't work with scripts, and haven't even run one script in this database ever!  There have been crashes in this database.  However, what I can say about the crashes is that I've always sent you log files after the event, and you haven't ever reported anything unusual about them.  I don't think this database has ever been under the influence of a power failure.  No, I don't run the database diagnosis on a daily basis. 
Your reporting that some of my child categories weren't properly linked to their parent is interesting.  Do these involve data driven categories? What are some scenarios that can cause this?

Mario

I have no idea. First time I've seen this in a diagnosis log file. I could envision that when you very dragging and dropping categories around and there was a power failure or crash halfway through writing back the info to the database...but then IMatch would undo the pending change when it starts, inform you with the "not closed properly" message and ask you to run a diagnosis. You should have detected any problem with this immediately.

Unless you perform unusual operations on your categories or can reproduce this, I have no idea how this can happen. These checks are part of the database diagnosis which is very throughout because I use in development as well to detect problems early. But I have never seen this happen in the wild.

I suggest you run the diagnosis often to see if this happens again. Then you are maybe able to remember what you did before and what may have caused this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook