Start Versioning with only JPEGs

Started by pmbvw, August 01, 2014, 09:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmbvw

Hello
I will start versioning, but the syntax for me is very complicated and I found no example in the help or forum
I hope someone else has a hardcopy-example for me. 

I have only JPG-pics (Master and changed derivates in the same directory)

The Master is named something like:
20140507-083322a-CANON_5D3-London_2014_Tag02_Bricklane_Oldstreet.jpg

and all derivates have suffixes
20140507-083322a-CANON_5D3-London_2014_Tag02_Bricklane_Oldstreet_DXO.jpg
20140507-083322a-CANON_5D3-London_2014_Tag02_Bricklane_Oldstreet_crop.jpg
20140507-083322a-CANON_5D3-London_2014_Tag02_Bricklane_Oldstreet_Flickr.jpg
20140507-083322a-CANON_5D3-London_2014_Tag02_Bricklane_Oldstreet_Framed.jpg

Thanks for your help

thrinn

There are a lot of examples in the help, the chapter on file relations is certainly worth reading. For your case, the following expressions should do the trick: Use
\.jpg$
as master expression. This will match all JPG files.
The link expression you find in the help :
QuoteWhen your version file names have additional letters or digits
If you append letters or digits to your version file name, you can cover this by changing the link expression slightly:

^{name}.*\.jpg$
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

pmbvw

Hi Thorsten,
it works like a charm.
I have really read the chapter versioning in the help and searched the forum.
But it is such a lot of complex stuff there(for me newby) and the NeuDeutsch-language does another problem

Vielen Dank für die schnelle Hilfe
Peter

Mario

Careful!

The problem I see here is that the master expression \.jpg$ (all files ending with .jpg) matches both your masters and your versions.

"20140507-083322a-CANON_5D3-London_2014_Tag02_Bricklane_Oldstreet.jpg" and "20140507-083322a-CANON_5D3-London_2014_Tag02_Bricklane_Oldstreet_DXO.jpg" both end in .jpg but one is a master and one is a version. How should IMatch tell what is what?

Your setup is in fact extra complicated:

1. You have the same file format for master and versions
2. You keep master and versions in the same folder.

I would suggest you use this version expression:

^{name}_.*\.jpg$

It demands a _ after the name of the master file, which seems to match how you name your versions. Leave the replacement expression empty.

And  now you see why there is all the complicated stuff. Because it allows IMatch to handle complicated cases like yours. If I would have made this simpler and with less options, your versioning schema would have been a dead end and you would have to rename all your version files! Or move them into other folders.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Hi Peter,
Mario is right, of course. The extra underscore is important. Should have tested the expression before posting  :-[
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

pmbvw

Hi Thorsten,
I have tested it and it worked, maybe because alphabetically IMTACH get everytime the master first!?

pmbvw

Quote from: Mario on August 02, 2014, 08:09:20 AM
Careful!
The problem I see here is that the master expression \.jpg$ (all files ending with .jpg) matches both your masters and your versions.
"20140507-083322a-CANON_5D3-London_2014_Tag02_Bricklane_Oldstreet.jpg" and "20140507-083322a-CANON_5D3-London_2014_Tag02_Bricklane_Oldstreet_DXO.jpg" both end in .jpg but one is a master and one is a version. How should IMatch tell what is what?
Your setup is in fact extra complicated:
1. You have the same file format for master and versions
2. You keep master and versions in the same folder.
I would suggest you use this version expression:
^{name}_.*\.jpg$
It demands a _ after the name of the master file, which seems to match how you name your versions. Leave the replacement expression empty.
And  now you see why there is all the complicated stuff. Because it allows IMatch to handle complicated cases like yours. If I would have made this simpler and with less options, your versioning schema would have been a dead end and you would have to rename all your version files! Or move them into other folders.
Hi Mario,
thanks for the clarification.

I love IMATCH5 because of his flexibility. I have imported 150.000 pictures and my hierarchical keywords rearranged without help from the forum
(It was self-explanatory, or easy to find in the help file)
I love the flexibility of your work, also with versioning.

But sometimes it is easier to ask in the forum as to despair.
So I mean complicated stuff not negative!!!
(Flexibility is mostly a little bit complicated to understand - for newbies)

Peter