Database shows duplicates that don't exist on drive

Started by bayard, July 21, 2014, 01:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayard

In changing computers, I moved a file then messed up how I told IM about it with the result that the IM database shows duplicates but the disk does not. When I delete the copy in the Unassigned category, it deletes the file from the disk, and both instances of the duplicate.

One set of the duplicates is the original categorized photos, the offending duplicate is in the uncategorized group, asking to be categorized.

How do I delete the new duplicate without deleting the file from the disk?

Bayard

Mario

Use the Remove file from Database command available in the File Window context menu (under Additional Functions).
This command removes the file from the database but not the disk.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

bayard

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I am a long time but limited user. Present version is 3.6.0.118
I am not familiar with the "File Window" context menu - I have searched all context menus and cannot find either Additional Functions or Remove file from Database.

In Database view, right click on the folder of interest has Remove folder from Database which I don't want to do.

In the Thumbnail View (the only place that I know to select an individual file) the context menu does not have either Additional Functions or Remove file from Database.

In the "Unassigned Images" which has the duplicates, the Delete function deletes the file from the disk.

What or where is the "File Window"?

Bayard

herman

Quote from: bayard on July 21, 2014, 08:47:46 PM
I am a long time but limited user. Present version is 3.6.0.118
I am not familiar with the "File Window" context menu - I have searched all context menus and cannot find either Additional Functions or Remove file from Database.
I am afraid all answers in this community are assuming you are using IMatch 5.
Am I correct in understanding that you are working with IMatch3, not IMatch 5?
Enjoy!

Herman.

bayard

herman

I was afraid you were....

You will find that most people in this communty (if not all) are using IMatch 5.
I would like to help you but I can't as I have retired IMatch 3.
Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

This community is only for users with IMatch 5.
The old user forum (http://ptforum.photoolsweb.com) is for users with the now retired IMatch 3 release.

If you have managed to "fold" multiple folders into one by first adding a folder twice to the database and then using Relocate to fold the old and the new one together) you can use the Remove selected files from database script available in the Scripting menu.

Please consider upgrading to IMatch 5. Support for IMatch 3 has ended.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

bayard

Mario,
Yes, that is what I did.

I bought IMATCH 5, downloaded, and now I'm totally lost. I cleaned up IM3, converted the database and have some success starting IM5. It is a challenge which at my 88 years of age I may not conquer, but it at least gives me something to do at the computer all day. With my physical and mental disabilities I will probably keep using IM3 as my photo database. It works great for my needs.

Thank you for your help, and I may be back as I try to understand the complexities of IM5!

Bayard

Mario

Hi,

I suggest you follow the tip on creating a test database:

1. Create a database for testing in IMatch 5
2. Create a copy of some of the folders you plan to use (just copy the folders in Windows Explorer)
3. Add these copies to your test IMatch 5 database

This gives you a database to play with, with files which you can loose without harm (because they are copies of your real files). This way you can try out everything without any risk. Always good when working with new software.

Then open the help file via the Help menu. On the first page you'll find a link named "For IMatch 3 Users". This topic explains the major differences between IMatch 3 and IMatch 5. Although the principles are very similar, reading this help topic will make it easier for you to see what's knew and to judge if you need it or if you are interested in all the new things. No need to spend time learning things you'll never use.

But you may find that many things in IMatch 5 are automatic which you may had to do manually before. May save you some time, or make things quicker. It all depends of course on what you do with IMatch.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ferdinand

This is a bit late and may not be relevant anymore, but in IMatch 3.6, there is a script which I think ships with IMatch, that enables you to remove selected images from the database.  It's under the "specials" section and is called "Remove selected images from database".  I mention this in case the OP goes back to V3.6, although I hope he doesn't.