Media and Folders view

Started by densac, July 13, 2014, 09:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

densac

Don't know if it is possible but I cannot see a way of configuring the Media & Folders view to replicate what I am used to in 3.6. I usually work with off-line folders hidden but when I show them I don't see drive nodes and my folders are ordered by the sequence in which I created them. I don't want to see the drive nodes of off-lines files because they are meaningless to me -- I off-line my images to optical disks and over time, with various PC config changes, the 'same' device has had a number of different drive letters and the 'standard' media&folders view becomes some what untidy.
Is there a way of configuring this window to replicate what I had in 3.6?

Mario

I'm not sure I understand you correctly.
You have many files from many different media and all these files are off-line.

You hide off-line folders in the Media & Folders view via the Hide off-line folders option provided in the Folder Filter panel under the Media & Folders tree control? Because if all folders of a media are off-line, this also hides the media / disk. Is this not the case?

Maybe show a screen shot so we can see what you see.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

densac

Hi Mario,

I have attached an image of part of my folder list from V3.6. You will see that I prefix my friendly names with my number of the optical disk relevant to the particular folders. These all appear in sequence and no drive nodes are shown. That is what I would like to replicate in V5. As I say, in V5 I end up with a number of different off-line drive nodes because of the various PC configuration changes over the years and I cannot see the folders in the sequence in which I created them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

IMatch 5 always shows drive nodes, as long as one folder is visible from the drive. Same for media nodes. You cannot disable this.
If all folders one a drive are off-line and you hide off-line folders, the drive / media node will also be hidden. Is this not what you want?

You can configure how IMatch sorts folder names (or friendly names) via the options (Gear button in the toolbar).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

densac

I want to sort the offline folders by their friendly names but there seems to be no way of doing such...

Richard

Did you see the dialog I have attached? If you change it to Yes for Friendly Names at the top then the options shown should apply.

densac

Quote from: Richard on July 13, 2014, 09:35:54 PM
Did you see the dialog I have attached? If you change it to Yes for Friendly Names at the top then the options shown should apply.

No, that does not help...

Mario

Define: "Does not work". Is the sort order wrong? Which sort mode do you use?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

densac

Quote from: Mario on July 14, 2014, 07:23:57 AM
Define: "Does not work". Is the sort order wrong? Which sort mode do you use?

For off-line files on removable media the folder view shows the ID of the removable media...the friendly folder names sit below this in the hierarchy and are not visible unless I 'open' the media. My folders span over 700+ optical disks and there appears to be no way of seeing these in their friendly name order as there was in 3.6 etc

Mario

Quotehierarchy and are not visible unless I 'open' the media.
This is the designed behavior.

QuoteMy folders span over 700+ optical disks and there appears to be no way of seeing these in their friendly name order as there was in 3.6 etc
This seems to be a rather unique challenge then.

I still don't understand the problem, sorry.
You asked to hide off-line media / folders. IMatch can do that.
The screen shot you have attached shows a number of folders which are off-line (IMatch 3). You have disabled the drive nodes, which is not possible in IMatch 5.

As long as there is at least one folder displayed from a drive, IMatch displays the drive node as well. If more than one media has been added from a drive, IMatch also displays the media nodes. If you hide all your off-line folders, IMatch also hides the media nodes / drive nodes.

It seems that you want to configure the Media & Folders view to not show drive nodes and media nodes at all. This option does not exist.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

densac

I am going to have to amend my way of working. The trouble with having the off-line nodes displayed is that, because my configuration has changed over the past 10 years use of Imatch, the off-line drive letters that are displayed now conflict with existing hard drive letters making it very confusing. I shall have to try and do without the friendly names.

jonz

I don't see a way either of removing a previously listed directory from the database. I thought it might be as easy as using the add/update dialogue but the "remove" only works on the listed locations to add, not to remove them. Am I missing the option to remove from database? Wouldn't this help densac too?

Mario

To remove a folder from the database, right-click the folder and select Remove from Database in the menu.
This removes the folder, all files and associated data from the database, but not the physical files from disk.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jonz

QuoteTo remove a folder from the database, right-click the folder and select Remove from Database in the menu.
This removes the folder, all files and associated data from the database, but not the physical files from disk.

Should I start a new thread? I have never gotten that option with right click on folder.

My folder view is a problem for me too. No matter how I set it up with hierarchy etc some times I simply cannot get out of that one single folder. In other words, at the top of the file window I have a single path listed, below that the name of the directory with the collapse and expand triangle (which works), but nothing else. I have "show all levels" enabled and "small thumbs". The thumbs for that one folder do appear.

JohnZeman

Quote from: jonz on July 14, 2014, 08:37:33 PM
QuoteTo remove a folder from the database, right-click the folder and select Remove from Database in the menu.

Should I start a new thread? I have never gotten that option with right click on folder.

Just to be clear...  When you right click a folder you don't see what's in the attached screen shot?

jonz

QuoteJust to be clear...  When you right click a folder you don't see what's in the attached screen shot?

That's correct; I'm enclosing a screen shot too.

I can see from your screen shot that you've got a whole panel that I don't ... obviously the problem ... but I don't see at all where that panel is enabled.

herman

Quote from: jonz on July 14, 2014, 10:09:59 PMI can see from your screen shot that you've got a whole panel that I don't ... obviously the problem ... but I don't see at all where that panel is enabled.
It seems that you have changed your panel layout, causing the folder panel to be hidden.
If you can not restore it you can restore the default layout by first closing IMatch.
When you re-start IMatch hold the <CTRL> key while you click the IMatch icon.
That will bring up a window with some options, one of them being to restore the workspace to the default settings.
Hope this helps....
Enjoy!

Herman.

jonz

QuoteWhen you re-start IMatch hold the <CTRL> key while you click the IMatch icon.

Thanks so much! I don't believe I've ever seen the panel since installing 5. What a welcome relief; it was very cumbersome navigating without it and now I have a whole raft of "new" features!

Much appreciated.

densac

Quote from: Mario on July 14, 2014, 02:35:37 PM
Quotehierarchy and are not visible unless I 'open' the media.
This is the designed behavior.

QuoteMy folders span over 700+ optical disks and there appears to be no way of seeing these in their friendly name order as there was in 3.6 etc
This seems to be a rather unique challenge then.

I still don't understand the problem, sorry.
You asked to hide off-line media / folders. IMatch can do that.
The screen shot you have attached shows a number of folders which are off-line (IMatch 3). You have disabled the drive nodes, which is not possible in IMatch 5.

As long as there is at least one folder displayed from a drive, IMatch displays the drive node as well. If more than one media has been added from a drive, IMatch also displays the media nodes. If you hide all your off-line folders, IMatch also hides the media nodes / drive nodes.

It seems that you want to configure the Media & Folders view to not show drive nodes and media nodes at all. This option does not exist.

Further to my comments regarding off-line nodes having the same names as some of my current hard disks. I have 3 off-line nodes that have the same names as some of my hard drives. When I hide off-line folders 2 disappear from the list but 1 remains visible. None of them are ever marked as off-line, presumably because they have the same names as existing drives but when you expand the nodes the folders are, as you would expect, marked as off-line....The drive that remains visible is an external device and the other 2 internal. I don't consider an external drive as off-line but presumably Imatch does. It leads to confusion because I do not have any folders on the internal drive of the same name.

Mario

IMatch determines if a folder is off-line by 1) comparing the unique media serial number with the number stored in the database and 2) testing if it can access the folder. There is no guesswork in this. If IMatch things a folder is off-line, either the media serial numbers don't match (use relocate to fix this if this is in error) or the folder is indeed off-line.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

densac

Quote from: Mario on July 15, 2014, 08:14:07 PM
IMatch determines if a folder is off-line by 1) comparing the unique media serial number with the number stored in the database and 2) testing if it can access the folder. There is no guesswork in this. If IMatch things a folder is off-line, either the media serial numbers don't match (use relocate to fix this if this is in error) or the folder is indeed off-line.

But this is what I see Mario.  I have hidden off-line files but G: remains visible. All the folders in it are off-line and I have an internal disk of this name with none of these images on it. Note...if you scan the image you will see the real G: disk as the last entry (CCDATA)  in the list. I don't understand what is going on...

Mario

The only media that is on-line is the media with the serial number DEAC-CA1D and the name CCDATA. There can be only one media on-line on drive H:
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

densac

Yes, but I have hidden off-line folders....so why are they showing???

Mario

I have no idea. Please add a bug report. Link to this topic and I will process this in sequence.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator