Encore: Which description field should be editable?

Started by cytochrome, June 25, 2014, 10:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cytochrome

Mario,

Yesterday I posted a question in the thread started by Ferdinand (https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=2380.msg17263#msg17263).  In response you asked
QuoteThere should be only one xmp:dc\Description tag in your database. Did you run a diagnosis to fix this?

I run several DB diagnostics, they all end with Errors:0 , Warnings:0. The DB is
Database file size on disk:   2.75 GB
    Number of folders:            1 244
    Number of files:              56 049
    Number of categories:         8 846

It is the same DB since several month, I always installed new IM5 betas, then IM51.. on top, without problem  or complains.

AT present I have these tags
{File.MD.XMP::xmp\Description\Description\0}  ======> This one is empty
{File.MD.XMP::dc\description\Description\0} ========> These two are populated
{File.MD.Composite\Description\Description\0} ======> and synchronized

My question was is not {File.MD.XMP::xmp\Description\Description\0} the "official" Description tag? Should I "push" the data to this tag?

(this is with exiftool 9.65)

Francis

Mario

The diagnosis should detect the duplicate tag and fold it. Very strange. Anyway, this can never happen again.
You can contact me via email. I will send you a tool which allows to look into your database and to fix this manually.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cytochrome

Thank you Mario.

I send you an email. I suppose it is the same tool used by John Zeman in an other post about Description.. I could simply delete one of the XMP Description tags but I fear I a loss of data.

When I installed Exiftool v9.65 yesterday, after IMatch detected it and DB diagnotic (don't konow if it plays a role) , {File.MD.XMP::dc\description\Description\0} and {File.MD.Composite\Description\Description\0} became immediately synchronized. I checked it over the whole DB (samples from the Timeline) it is fine for NEF, MRW, RW2 and JPGs

Francis