searching within categories

Started by David Werier, June 10, 2014, 05:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Werier

First thanks so much Mario for IMatch 5. I just upgraded and have been enjoying the many changes. Really impressive work.  :) Thanks for all your hard work.

My question relates to searching within categories. In IMatch 3 when I wanted to search within categories I would

1) type ctrl + f and the find dialogue would appear.
2) Then I would type what category I was searching for and the find dialogue would present the categories that contained the text I searched on.
3) Then I would double click the entry I wanted and I would be taken to that category.

In Imatch 5 I
1) click on the category filter tab at the bottom of the category area
2) type what category I am searching for in the filter box and the category tree is filtered to display the categories that contain the text I filter on.
3) Then I click on the category that I was looking for.

At this point in Imatch 5 the whole category tree is filtered and only shows the categories I filtered for. If I want to see the whole category tree (but still remain with the category I am interested in having the focus), I need to then
1) click on the category filter tab
2) click on the down button next to the filter box
3) click on "reset filter"

The first time I do this I am where I want to be (i.e. The entire category tree is present and the category I was interested in has the focus). Still it has taken me 6 steps instead of 3. So my first question is, is there anyway I can do this process like in Imatch 3 or is there a way I can do this with less steps.

If I do the whole process again, this time with a different search term, when I do the final click on the reset filter button I have the entire category tree present but the category that has the focus is the one I searched on the first time. So my second question is, is there a way that I can keep the category I am interested in having the focus when I remove the filter?

Please let me know if I not being clear enough. And thank in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Mario

Filtering means to limit a large category down to a manageable set, for specific purposes.

Why do you not use the Search function instead? When you type something in the Search box, IMatch jumps to the first category matching that name. The category tree is not filtered. It's much faster to. You can just keep typing, and you can go to the next and previous category matching your search term with the arrow button next to the search box.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

David Werier

Thanks for the reply.

For me there are a few issues with using the search box.

I guess it really applies to when I have numerous items (say about 20) that match, which with my very large category tree is not too uncommon. The search takes me to the first one and like you said I have to use the arrows to move to the next match. One problem (and maybe this is a bug) is that sometimes the match is hidden behind the category filter dialogue. So, I click on the arrow to find the next match and then I have to scroll the categories up so I can see the match. The other thing is that for every match that I am taken to, the category tree gets expanded. I prefer to keep most of the category tree collapsed. It makes it easier for me to maneuver around. But I guess the biggest issue is that for each match, it takes me a moment to see if this is the category I want. So if it is 10 matches away it can take a while. In Imatch3, when I searched, all of the choices were presented in a list with each item occupying only one line. If I couldn't see the item I wanted right away, I would simply scroll down a little and then double click on the item. If I use the search function. I don't see all my choices at once even by scrolling a little.

So it sounds like I am not missing something and will just have to adjust or perhaps make a feature request. Perhaps if the bug I noted above is fixed it might make it easier. Should I file a bug report?

pajaro

Quote from: David Werier on June 10, 2014, 09:00:50 PM
One problem (and maybe this is a bug) is that sometimes the match is hidden behind the category filter dialogue. So, I click on the arrow to find the next match and then I have to scroll the categories up so I can see the match.

I have the same problem. It happens when the Auto Hide is on. With the Auto Hide function off the category I look for appears on the top of the tree.

Mario

If the focused category is not scrolled into the visible range, that would be a glitch. Or do you use the search panel in "floating" mode (you have it hidden and expand it to search"? In this case th focused item may be "under" the floating panel. The Windows tree control does not know that another window is on top of it. It will bring the focused node into view, but that may be under the panel that is floating over it. No way to change that.

The other things you mention sound more like a feature request so you should add a post there. If other users see these issues also they can command and add some weight by +1 it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

David Werier

Yes I guess I have been using the category filter in "floating mode". Once I changed it to not "floating mode" the matched category doesn't get hidden. So that is useful. Thanks for pointing that out.

Although now I have another step to find the category I am looking for. If I have the category filter hidden it now takes clicking on the category filter tab and then clicking on the auto-hide icon and then the other steps I noted previously. Definitely more steps in Imatch 5 than in Imatch 3.

I also don't understand the floating mode for the category filter. It doesn't really float (i.e. I can't move it to another part of the screen). It seems the only thing it does in floating mode is disappear when I don't use it. But while I am using it, it hides what is behind it. Why not simply have the category filter be an item that one can hide or not hide and never let it hide what is behind it. Or am I missing something?

I will make a feature request regarding searching.

Mario

QuoteIt seems the only thing it does in floating mode is disappear when I don't use it.
That's the reason to switch it to floating mode - so see more of the category tree.  But then the panel really floats over the tree when it is expanded, and in your case that's causing the problem. Leave it fixed and always visible if you search so often.

If you want a separate search result list back like in IMatch 3, post a feature request. But when you use the filter instead of the search you get that already. Yes, I know you don't get it the way you would like it, but so far nobody has filed a feature request for that and hence I assume that it's OK for most users.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

David Werier

Thanks Mario for you replies. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my posts. I will submit a feature request.

Mario

Very good. This allows others to see your suggestion and to comment on it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator