Can´t change iptcExt\LocationShownProvinceState and photoshop\State tags

Started by jarraun, May 29, 2014, 02:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarraun

Hi Testers.

Every time I try to change in my NEF files these two tags :
{File.MD.XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownProvinceState\LocationShownProvinceState\0}
{File.MD.XMP::photoshop\State\State\0}
from their actual value to a new one an do the metadata write-back to the file, the old value always returns. However their JPG versions are properly written. My settings for Metadata are as default. Has anyone experienced this ?.

In the log file I can see, among others, this error: "Error: Didn't set path from root for LocationShownProvinceStateInternal"

I attach the log file created during the write-back in case it helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Please open the ExifTool output panel and then repeat for one file.
Copy/Paste the contents of the output panel to your reply. This shows us what IMatch is sending to ET and what it returns as warnings or errors.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jarraun

Hi Mario,

Find attached the contents of the ouput panel, it shows no errors but stil can´t change the mentioned tags. Many strange things happen with my NEF files, I must be doing it really bad,  :(, thanks anyway.

Sorry Mario forget this post, I don´t know how, but mi files were corrupted, I´m really doing things very bad.

Javier

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Please send a sample of one of your NEF files (plus sidecar if you use them) so I can try to reproduce the effect.
Use my email below and include a link to this topic in your email so I know what is what.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jarraun

Thanks for your patience,

I think this has nothing to do with my NEF files or my workflow and it can be reproduced by anyone, can be the normal behavior but it is misleading. Just some findings:

NEF file directly from NIKON D700 camera to IM5.

1)
- I write "Japan" to this tag:{File.MD.XMP::photoshop\Country\Country\0}
- Tag {File.MD.XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCountryName\LocationShownCountryName\0} gets updated with "Japan", very good, well done.
As long as I only change XMP::photoshop\Country everything is ok but if:
- I write "Rusia" to tag {File.MD.XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCountryName\LocationShownCountryName\0}, then write-back to the file.
- I get "Rusia;Rusia" in XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCountryName and "Rusia" in XMP::photoshop\Country
From here it is not possible anymore to change the tag XMP::photoshop\Country, it always get updated from XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCountryName

2)
Same as above for these two pairs:
- {File.MD.XMP:.:iptcExt\LocationShownProvinceState\LocationShownProvinceState\0} and {File.MD.XMP::photoshop\State\State\0}
- {File.MD.XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownSublocation\LocationShownSublocation\0} and {File.MD.XMP::iptcCore\Location\Location\0}

3)
Lesson
If someone is interested in getting these tags correctly, edit only:
- XMP::photoshop\Country
- XMP::photoshop\State
- XMP::iptcCore\Location
Never edit:
- XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCountryName
- XMP:.:iptcExt\LocationShownProvinceState
- XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownSublocation

I repeat with Ferdinand, metadata is a mess.

Javier

Mario

The default Metadata Panel layout uses the Composite tags, to ensure proper distribution of country, city, location among IPTC, IPTCCore and XMP. If you mix MWG compliance with filling out XMP tags directly, you may end up with data in the wrong places. Best to use the standard tags provided by IMatch, unless they cause problems with your files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jarraun

I was trying to use "Shown tags" because usually have images from summits of the mountains where the shown location is not the same as the created location and I think it is not covered by the Location Default Metadata Panel. Do you mean I will be safe if I use only the default Metadata Panel ? I will try it, the metadata issue starts to be cumbersome to me. Thanks.

Javier

Mario

IMatch always propagates XMP->IPTC, XMP->EXIF, XMP->GPS and XMP->PDF following the MWG rules. If you update the XMP tags covered by the MWG rules, they are copied into the correct IPTC tags (if the target file format has IPTC). All other changes to XMP are written "as-is" to the XMP record of the file.

I have not looked in detail into your problem yet, I'm working hard to get the final Beta out and then to ship the initial release of IMatch 5.

At a first glance this looks like problem caused by mixing repeatable tags or something. I will look into this as soon as possible. But such subtle metadata-related problems will show up frequently, even after the initial release of IMatch 5.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator