iMatch .156 blocks the desktop

Started by afx, May 11, 2014, 03:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afx

Hi,
when I have iMatch open covering most but not all of the screen and I use the task bar to switch to a Firefox window that is underneath iMatch, it blinks up for a second and then iMatch covers it again.

A bit of a PITA when I have to wait for iMatch to finish things, waiting gets boring fast ;-)

I have set W7 to allow the focus to follow the mouse as much as possible (accessibility settings). I assume this is related.

Qimage has the same problem...

cheers
afx

Mario

Never heard that before. Must be something specific to your system or what you do to the mouse.
IMatch has no function that brings it on top of other images, unless perhaps it is processing data and the progress dialog is visible or something... no idea.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

afx

Yup, I think it is the Ease of Access settings for the mouse.
But as it affects only a iMatch and Qimage, it is something in the way the programs use the windows UI libs that interacts silly with that setting. LibreOffice, MS Office or Mozilla programs do not exhibit this behavior.
I have set
Activate a window by hovering over it.
In the Ease of Access settings for the mouse.

cheers
afx

Mario

I don't understand. When you use that feature, Windows sets the focus to whatever window is under the mouse. Thats an accessibility feature.
Unless you point at a window connected to IMatch, IMatch will not receive the input focus.

When exactly grabs IMatch the focus? What does it do at that time?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

afx

Give it try, activate it and restart iMatch after doing so.

It leads to lots of interesting side effects with iMatch when iMatch is not fullscreen but a window.

When the setting is not active and I select a firefox window from the windows task bar, it pops open over iMatch.
With the setting on, the firefox window will stay behind iMatch.
Even iMatch's own subwindows, for example the script editor will open underneath iMatch....

Looks like there is a short time in which the mouse is over the main iMatch window instead of the one that should come forward and iMatch pushes in the foreground when it is active.
This is probably controlled by some rather obscure setting in Microsofts UI libs.

I've meanwhile started a new iMatch session and can only reproduce the behavior partially. Earlier this afternoon it was absolutely consistent.
I guess not many people use this Windows UI setting and it might be wonky on the OS side.

Guess it is time to give True Xmouse a try. It is supposed to deliver focus follows mouse in a consistent fashion, hopefully with less side-effects.

cheers
afx

Mario

Sounds all a bit obscure to me. If you consider this behavior a bug, please file a bug report. Postings in this "General Discussion" board are not monitored by me and are old in two weeks.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

afx

Quote from: Mario on May 11, 2014, 08:15:26 PM
Sounds all a bit obscure to me. If you consider this behavior a bug, please file a bug report. Postings in this "General Discussion" board are not monitored by me and are old in two weeks.
I am not sure whether it is a bug, some obscure interaction with the Windows UI or whatnot?
But by posting maybe someone else who has a similar experience will find the thread and chime in.

At the moment I'll experiment with Xmouse and see whether that delivers a saner result than the Windows setting.

cheers
afx