Anybody tried the spell checker yet?

Started by Mario, May 04, 2014, 08:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

This was introduced in 5.0.154 and I wonder if some of you gave it a try.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on May 04, 2014, 08:16:14 PM
This was introduced in 5.0.154 and I wonder if some of you gave it a try.

I tried it with German, and it worked as expected, that is why I made not a lot of test ;)

But really, it worked for me! Super!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

thrinn

Works for me also, including the switching of languages.
First I was missing the speller context menu but then I realised that it is only available while (a) editing a field and (b) for misspelled words. Well, it is written in the help  - should have read it more thouroughly  :-[

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

BanjoTom

Works for me, very nicely, in English . . .
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Lincoln

emef

DigPeter

Yes - OK here in English.  Also the user dictionary works too.

jch2103

Seems to work OK here also (US English and custom dictionary).
John

cthomas

Quote from: jch2103 on May 05, 2014, 04:11:42 PM

How do you get in to try the spell checker?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on May 06, 2014, 11:52:03 PM

IMatch is still beta software, so beta testers have to expect some extra work at times. See the Release Notes in Help. There's a link there to a Help topic on setting up the spell checker. In summary, you need a folder in which to keep the dictionary files, and need to download the (I assume in your case US English) dictionary files, for example from http://archive.services.openoffice.org/pub/mirror/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries/

Next (quoting the Help), "After downloading new dictionaries, you can open the Edit > Preferences > Application dialog and scroll down to see the spell checker options. Click on the Language drop-down to expand it. All languages for which dictionaries have been found are listed here. If the list is empty or does not show your new dictionary, the dictionary files are not named properly." There's additional information in the Help topic.

Once the files are set up, you can use the spell checker where ever you need to enter text.

Perhaps Mario can include spell checker setup in the IMatch Installer before the public release (unless licencing restrictions don't allow it). In the meantime, we beta testers are helping make sure it works properly once it's set up.

John

jeknepley

Quote from: cthomas on May 06, 2014, 11:52:03 PM

As always, Help is your friend.

Richard

QuoteHelp is your friend.
Absolutely. Help should be the first place we go to find answers. The Help files are part of this beta test and need to be fixed whenever anyone finds a problem or sees an error. In addition there are features in IMatch 5 that can make work easier than IMatch 3 and it is best to learn of them is in Help.

I would like to think that the Visual Index serves as a good introduction to IMatch 5. If any feature seems like something that you want to learn more about, one click will take you to the proper file in Help were you can learn a lot.

Mario

Quote from: jch2103 on May 07, 2014, 01:10:53 AM
Perhaps Mario can include spell checker setup in the IMatch Installer before the public release (unless licencing restrictions don't allow it). In the meantime, we beta testers are helping make sure it works properly once it's set up.

There is a legal reason why you have to download the spelling dictionaries yourself. I cannot include them in the distribution because they are under various licenses. I cannot provide a direct link to the download web sites in IMatch (but they are in the help).

As always I included the information about the new spell checker feature in the IMatch release notes which are a must read for every tester after installing a new Beta version. This notice leads you to the spell checker help topic where you get instructions on where to download dictionaries for your language. The folders required etc. are all automatically created. You only need to download the files into that folder and IMatch will automatically launch the spell checker for you. That's as easy as it will get for now.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ColinIM

Once upon a time I was too proud to be told by any darned computer that my spelling might be less than perfect, but hey! I'm wiser now  ::)

The new spell-checker / dictionary is a superb and almost magical enhancement thank you Mario (almost 'magical' because it's available in so many text-input contexts throughout the program!).

But the main reason I'm posting is to confirm that - for fellow UK-based pedants like me who might prefer to choose the "Oxford English Dictionary" tweaked versions of the "EN_GB" dictionary files (see below) - the differently-named "en_GB-oed" versions of the dictionary files are happily accepted and ingested by IMatch 5 when they're installed into my "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\dictionaries" folder!

I had noted in the IMatch Spell Checker page in IMatch 5.0.154 Help, that (quote) IMatch requires that dictionaries are named in [a specific] format, so I worried that these differently-named "oed" files might break that naming rule - but I can confirm that I'm using only these two files in my "dictionaries" folder:

en_GB-oed.aff
en_GB-oed.dic

(The "OED" tweaked dictionary is available from the same link shown above in JCH2013's post,  as  en_GB-oed.zip )

I'm deducing that the (totally reasonable) constraint on the names for the dictionary-files applies only to the first few characters of the names?!

Anyway, I am able to select "English (United Kingdom" as my spell-check language in Preferences | Application | Spell Checker, and yes, I tested that the spell-check feature does operate as it should with only those files installed.

By the way, I will send a "Help erratum" from that page in the Help file to say that (evidently) the filenames used for "UK English" (or English GB", or "English (United Kingdom)") dictionaries seem to be named as above - "en_gb..." - rather than the "en_UK..." which is offered as a "UK" naming example in the Help.

Colin P.

Mario

QuoteI'm deducing that the (totally reasonable) constraint on the names for the dictionary-files applies only to the first few characters of the names?!

Correct. But I did not want to over-complicate the help topic. To much info hides the important info ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jeknepley

Late arriving to the spell check party, but better late than never.

Followed the Help instructions and then tested by adding words in a metadata description field. (US English)

Worked fine. Couldn't be easier.

cthomas

Quote from: jeknepley on May 10, 2014, 01:03:22 AM

Followed the Help instructions and then tested by adding words in a metadata description field. (US English)

Hi, jeknepley I want to start using the Spell Checker. I'm having a hard time in choosing the right Dictionaries, I need the (US English. Can you help me with this?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Richard

QuoteA dictionary consists of two files: One file with a .dic extension and one file with a .aff extension. For example, the standard dictionary for U.S. English is contained in these files:
en_US.dic en_US.aff

Frank

I also use it in german.
It works as expected.
Frank

Nytewulf

Quote from: cthomas on November 10, 2014, 09:57:45 PM
Quote from: jeknepley on May 10, 2014, 01:03:22 AM

Hi, jeknepley I want to start using the Spell Checker. I'm having a hard time in choosing the right Dictionaries, I need the (US English. Can you help me with this?

There are a number of dictionary sources listed in the Help File.  I use:

http://archive.services.openoffice.org/pub/mirror/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries/en_EN-pack.zip

John