Quick Reference Chart

Started by cthomas, April 04, 2014, 06:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

Mario in this thread "Duplicate picture removal.Evaluating iMatch" message #70642 you said "Tip: Print the IMatch Quick Reference Chart (Windows START menu, IMatch program group) to see all icons used by the thumbnail window." Where can I find this for IMatch 5 on a Windows 8 64 bit system
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

My comment was misleading. It's actually the Quick Start Guide and you can access it directly via the Help menu in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on April 04, 2014, 06:44:41 PM
My comment was misleading. It's actually the Quick Start Guide and you can access it directly via the Help menu in IMatch.

When I go to Help, and then click The Imatch Quick Start Guide, it opens a Notepad window full of garbage.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

herman

Quote from: cthomas on April 04, 2014, 07:20:30 PMWhen I go to Help, and then click The Imatch Quick Start Guide, it opens a Notepad window full of garbage.
It is a .pdf document so it should open in a PDF reader, not in Notepad.
Could you please check your Windows preferences to make sure you have a PDF reader associated with the .pdf extension?
Enjoy!

Herman.

cthomas

Your right Herman. And I got it fixed.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on April 04, 2014, 06:44:41 PM

Mario this doesn't explain any of the icons. Where can I find what the icons in Imatch 5 mean? Espacilly  the one used when you find duplicate files.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

herman

My name is not Mario, but nevertheless....  ;)

The IM5 help file is top class, really.

Just click on a thumbnail in the file window to make sure it has the focus, then press f1
This open the help file, most likely at a page with all information you need in this context.

Scroll down until you see the icons (see screenshot).

[attachment deleted by admin]
Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

QuoteEspacilly  the one used when you find duplicate files.

When you run a Search > For Duplicate Files, IMatch opens a result window. See Result Window in the help for details.
The Result Window uses the same icons as regular File Windows so the info above should help you. If not, just reply and show a screen shot of which icons you mean.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on April 04, 2014, 08:11:58 PM
QuoteEspacilly  the one used when you find duplicate files.

When you run a Search > For Duplicate Files, IMatch opens a result window. See Result Window in the help for details.
The Result Window uses the same icons as regular File Windows so the info above should help you. If not, just reply and show a screen shot of which icons you mean.

Mario, I'm sorry but I can't  get this to work. Would you help me with this again? I opened my database then > Help > Open the Help File System > I clicked the search Tab > I then typed in Duplicate File > I then clicked List Topics and went through listed topic. I then typed in Duplicate File results. Any way I did find any thing.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

It's often easier to use the context-sensitive help feature and the F1 key:

Click in a file window and press <F1> to get the file window help.
Click in a Result Window and press <F1> to get the result window help.

I just typed

icon

into the search index and immediately found the "Icons, explained" help topic.  I think this is what you are looking for.
Since this is often asked by users I made a special topic for it.

Which keywords or search terms did you use in order to find the information about icons?
I can add a few more keywords to the icon help topic and the file window topic so other users will find it easier too.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on April 05, 2014, 07:51:42 PM
It's often easier to use the context-sensitive help feature and the F1 key:

Click in a file window and press <F1> to get the file window help.
Click in a Result Window and press <F1> to get the result window help.

I just typed

icon

into the search index and immediately found the "Icons, explained" help topic.  I think this is what you are looking for.
Since this is often asked by users I made a special topic for it.

Which keywords or search terms did you use in order to find the information about icons?
I can add a few more keywords to the icon help topic and the file window topic so other users will find it easier too.

Yes Mario this what I'm looking for but I still get it to work? Can you explain it a little bit more in detail. :(
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

herman

Quote from: cthomas on April 05, 2014, 07:13:35 PMMario, I'm sorry but I can't  get this to work. Would you help me with this again? I opened my database then > Help > Open the Help File System > I clicked the search Tab > I then typed in Duplicate File > I then clicked List Topics and went through listed topic. I then typed in Duplicate File results. Any way I did find any thing.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.

When you want to find duplicate files you have to click the search button and then select Duplicates from the drop-down menu (see "Search" screen grab)
When you want help on the duplicate files open the help file > contents tab > searching and it is right there (see "help" screen grab).

When you tried search terms in the help file which did not produce the expected results please tell Mario as he explained in his previous post so he can add more keywords to the help topics.

Enjoy!

Herman.

cthomas

Quote from: herman on April 06, 2014, 12:10:15 AM
Quote from: cthomas on April 05, 2014, 07:13:35 PMMario, I'm sorry but I can't  get this to work. Would you help me with this again? I opened my database then > Help > Open the Help File System > I clicked the search Tab > I then typed in Duplicate File > I then clicked List Topics and went through listed topic. I then typed in Duplicate File results. Any way I did find any thing.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.

When you want to find duplicate files you have to click the search button and then select Duplicates from the drop-down menu (see "Search" screen grab)
When you want help on the duplicate files open the help file > contents tab > searching and it is right there (see "help" screen grab).

When you tried search terms in the help file which did not produce the expected results please tell Mario as he explained in his previous post so he can add more keywords to the help topics.

Herman I'm looking an  explication of the icons that are used in IMach 5, there was one in IMatch 3. Right now I'm working on my duplicate files. So Need to find something that EXPLAINs the icons when working with duplicate files.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Richard

QuoteNeed to find something that EXPLAINs the icons when working with duplicate files.
Hi Carl,

The screen shot that Herman attached to an earlier reply shows the icon and tells what it means. I doubt that there is anything that explains it in more detail. The Quick Reference Chart in IMatch 3 does not have an equivalent in IMatch 5. If you need to know more than what is shown you can use the description given to ask here what it means.

herman

Quote from: Mario on April 05, 2014, 07:51:42 PMWhich keywords or search terms did you use in order to find the information about icons?

Reading through this conversation again it seems that the following quote describes the search term used:
Quotethen > Help > Open the Help File System > I clicked the search Tab > I then typed in Duplicate File > I then clicked List Topics and went through listed topic

Which produces the result list shown in attached screenshot.
Carl is right in the sense that no specific "Duplicate File" topic is listed in the results.

Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

The Search tab is a feature of Windows help. It searches the entire help system to find topics matching your search term. And apparently it found lots of results.

I suggest you'd rather use the Index tab, which contains keywords manually crafted by me, or the table of contents as a starting point:

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on April 06, 2014, 11:45:34 AM
The Search tab is a feature of Windows help. It searches the entire help system to find topics matching your search term. And apparently it found lots of results.

I suggest you'd rather use the Index tab, which contains keywords manually crafted by me, or the table of contents as a starting point:

So if you want to search for something in IMatch it would be best to use the Index tab?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Whatever works best for you. The help system of IMatch uses the same underlying technologies as any other help system in Windows.
It usually best to look at the Index first, or the Table of Contents if you really want to learn about IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator