[Suggestion] automatically activate a filter section if you change something

Started by ChrisMatch, July 02, 2013, 10:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisMatch

I just played around with the filter panel and activated some colors in the color filter.
I wondered why the filter doesn't change the files in the file window.
I checked if the Auto setting was active -> yes
I checked if the 'Active filter' was active -> yes

... strange

Then I noticed that the checkbox of the filter section was not activated.

If find that counterintuitive - if I change the date of a filter it is most likely that I want to see that effect.
I suggest that a filter section is automatically activated if the user changes its settings
(maybe only if Auto is activated because this shows the users intention that he wants to see his changes immediately applied).

What do you think?

Mario

This behavior is by design.
It allows you to setup your filter and then activate it. Especially for metadata-based filter or other filters where every click can cause a delay this is very convenient.

I'm sure after only one day of IMatch use you remember to either first click the X in the header, or to click it when you're done setting up your filter. It becomes automatic. This behavior has been tried in the Pre-Beta test for a several month and it generally is accepted as the best solution.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ChrisMatch

Hi Mario

What you are describing can be done with the checkbox for 'Auto' and with the checkbox for 'Active' - if one of this checkboxes is unchecked the filter is not applied immediately.

But there are additional checkboxes for every 'section' in the filter (Rating, Label and Collections; Metadata Search;...) and this checkboxes could be activated as soon as a user changes those settings (at least if Auto and Active are activated).

But maybe I am still missing something...

Mario

You are not missing something. This is how it is implemented. You can individually enable and disable filters with these check boxes.
I could implement it the way you want, but other users may object because they like it in the way it is implemented now. And tracking each and every control element in each of the filters for changes in order to determine when to automatically activate a filter will be a lot of work. Maybe in later version I will consider this.

But this is no bug. If you want to suggest a change in behavior, please add a feature request. Bug reports will be archived and forgotten once a new version has been shipped.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ChrisMatch

Originally I wanted to post this in the feature request forum - unfortunately I used the wrong forum by accident.

So yes you are right (of course ;) ):
- this is a feature request (only an enhancement in usability)
- you should no longer invest your valuable time in this (never was my intention)

If you don't move the thread into the feature request forum
I will post a new one with a poll.