Keep Categories view (left side) quiet

Started by cytochrome, February 20, 2014, 03:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cytochrome

I am sure it has been asked before but can't find it back:

- when working on a set of photos selected from a category in the left side categories view, the whole view is jerking up and down while IM updates files.

It is nearly impossible to select another category as long as IM has not finished updating. With selections of over 100 files it is long and when it is over it is invariably an other item of the category tree that has the focus...

Maybe this is not possible, so no big deal

Francis

Mario

What are you doing that causes so many updates to categories?
Are you perhaps "in" a data-driven category and you are updating that category?
Or are you working "in" Keywords and you are changing keywords all the time?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cytochrome

Typically, I scan my OU (=Where) category to find misspellings or double spellings of locations (30 files with Mezel and 40 with Mézel (correct)). So I select all "Mezel" and change it to Mézel in the Metadata Location tag.

In my workflow with metadata in file it entails opening and closing files to write the new location (but half are jpg) but I thought updating categories is purely a database job, so why is the category view going up and down during this process?

Or is there another way to perform these tasks? I know I can alias Mezel with Mézel but this is fine only in iM, the data in the file is still bad.

Francis

Mario

I'm not sure that I understand what you are doing.

The category tree will refresh when the database system tells it that categories have been added or removed.
I'm not sure how the location tag in the Metadata Panel can change categories - unless you have a data-driven category on location, and this category is expanded in the category view and you have selected one of the child categories of this data-driven category.

In this case you would basically pull the floor out under your own feet, right?
IMatch has to update the data-driven location category because you have changed it, and the data-driven category needs to be refreshed to not show incorrect data.

Does the effect go away when you disable automatic updates for data-driven categories under Edit > Preferences > Background Processing?
Or when you just select the files and put them into a collection and work from the collection view?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cytochrome

Quote from: Mario on February 20, 2014, 07:32:19 PM
I'm not sure that I understand what you are doing.

Does the effect go away when you disable automatic updates for data-driven categories under Edit > Preferences > Background Processing?
Or when you just select the files and put them into a collection and work from the collection view?

Well you did understand perfectly!! My Where cat is datadriven by the location data. I hadn't thought about this :-[ :-[

With automatic updates disabled it is all quiet

Thanks

Francis