Pack & Go with different user names?

Started by jch2103, January 21, 2014, 09:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

The new Pack & Go capabilities should be extremely useful to many of us. However, I have a question for which I didn't see (or missed) the answer in Help:

I have computers with different User names (a consequence of installing Windows 8 and its preference for choosing user names based on Microsoft account names); e.g., user names 'Smith' and 'John'. Will this create a problem for me in transferring databases/settings between these computers? If so, is there a work-around short of setting the same user names on both computers?

John

Mario

It would be easier if you have the same user name on both computers. Microsoft is only defaulting to your Microsoft account name during installation because they want to lure users into their cloud service - and of course to track you. The option to install/setup W8 without a Microsoft account is a bit hidden for a reason. It's a shame really, how all the companies are trying to "get your data" just to sell it...

Anyway, currently only user-defined annotations are stored in the user profile folder. All other data is in the "all users" folder hierarchy. Unless you use per-user annotation images, the Pack & Go restore will work whatever user name you run it under.

Note: If you keep your database in a user-specific "documents" folder, P&G will restored it to that folder. It creates folders on-the-fly as needed and if security allows. You can always restore to a dedicated target folder and copy files manually from there.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook