IM Does Not Recognize .WBM File Type

Started by StanRohrer, March 29, 2017, 04:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanRohrer

IM 5.8.4 does not recognize file type .WBM. Apparently it is very similar to a .BMP single bit depth file.

Photoshop CC v2017.0.1 produces this file type after Slice tool, on Export- Save For Web. A sample file is attached.

Per PS Online Help.....

WBMP format
WBMP format is the standard format for optimizing images for mobile devices, such as cell phones. WBMP supports 1‑bit color, which means that WBMP images contain only black and white pixels.

sinus

Stan,
you know of course, that unknown formats for IMatch, you can adding them quite easy by yourself?!

From the help
This dialog allows you to control which file formats IMatch adds to your database. You can also add user-defined file formats when you work with formats not handled by IMatch by default.

Preferences - File Formats and then F1 (help)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

WBM is such a uncommon file format, I actually had to look up what it does.
It saves files in a one bit per pixel format, only black and white allowed. I have never seen this file format used in the wild. This was designed many years ago, in times of WAP devices... Usually you just use PNG instead, which handles colors!

As sinus explained, you can add this format to IMatch yourself.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

StanRohrer

Sinus,
Thanks, I knew there was a way to add my own file format entry but hadn't gone on the hunt. Your tip was enough to get me to the correct Preferences location. I recalled a long time back that Mario had mentioned he wanted to know about file formats not in IM so he could add them for global use and have less conflicts if everybody made their own entries that didn't match what he added.

Mario,
Yes I got caught using this format as a bit of an obscure Photoshop operation in creating font bitmap matrixes. PS didn't let me create a BMP file in this sequence of events, only WBM. Then I could use PS to convert from WBM to BMP. So the WBM file was an interim step but not handled well in IM until I just added the format. Here is the entry I made:
Class: Image
Format Tag: WBM
Name: WBMP File Format monochrome BMP file for Mobile Devices
Extensions: .WBM

All is good on this end.

Mario

Hi, Stan

You are correct, I add common missing file formats or new formats (like the Affinity formats recently) to IMatch.

But WAP was many years ago and I doubt there exist devices anymore which need or handle this old file format.
If a user really needs to manage WAP/WBM files in IMatch, there is a way via custom file formats. I will not add this as a standard format for now.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

StanRohrer

Mario,
Fair enough. I didn't know the history of this file type and stumbled into having to use it.