add to database - filter possible?

Started by hannes_hab, January 02, 2014, 11:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hannes_hab

I am new to imatch - so for now I am only trying and playing ...

For my newer (above 2009) pictures I have a folder structure on a NAS like .../PHOTO/PHOTO_privat/2013/12/02/... for raw Data with the .nef and .nrw files in there and subfolders for panoramas-parts (.../PHOTO/PHOTO_privat/2013/12/02/PANO) with the final pictures in .../PHOTO/PHOTO_privat/2013/12/02/
The developed pictures (I use Corel AfterShotPro) are in .../PHOTO_FIN/PHOTO_privat/2013/12/02/
Older pictures are not in a separated path structure - there I had the raws in .../PHOTO/PHOTO_privat/2007/12/02/ and the developed jpgs in .../PHOTO/PHOTO_privat/2007/12/02/FIN_jpg

So my question: Is it possible to exclude folders named PANO from being imported in the database - or only import Folders named FIN_jpg - or only .jpg Files - or exclude .mov files and so on?

Or is this a wrong or not recommended approach?

Mario

See Edit > Preferences > Indexing. Press <F1> when this is open to get the help.
See Edit > Preferences > File Formats. Press <F1> to get the corresponding help.

You can let IMatch process folders recursively. This is the default mode and suggested. Do not keep folders you don't want to manage in IMatch as sub-folders you manage in IMatch. This will cause problems when you move folders around in IMatch because IMatch would know know "some" of the folders you process.

To exclude one or more file formats from your database, or to add file formats not initially supported by IMatch, go to Edit > Preferences > File Formats.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hannes_hab

thank you for your answer!

so I may (temporarily) exclude (not active/enabled) files or switch off subfolders.
A feature to filter foldernames is not possible (at the moment).

I am wondering if I should import folders like 2006 with all subfolders and filter (and remove ...) files later - maybe this would be better (and faster) ? or import day by day without subfolders - and maybe later switch on "advances file system monitoring"  to auto-add additional folders.

Maybe start with all (Photo) folders and manage later because later I have better filters to search and select.

br
hannes

Mario

IMatch is designed to do a complete management of all enclosed folders. As I said, I would not skip (or later remove) sub-folders of folders you manage in IMatch. They will come back when you rescan the folder. IMatch may get intro trouble when you move folders in IMatch but not all sub-folders in the file system are also in the database. I would think twice about this.

If you don't want to manage certain folders in your DAM, move them outside the folder hierarchy you manage in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook