Multiple Databases as Icons on the Welcome Screen

Started by Mike, May 18, 2024, 09:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

It would be helpful if we could select the required database directly when starting - for example, the databases would be displayed as icons directly on the welcome screen.

This isn't an "urgent" but rather a "luxury" improvement - Because you can also click "Open Database" - but it would just be more elegant and natural. I only suggest this, if it's not too complicated or time consuming.

P.S. I know most people only use one database, and that's very convenient when it suits - but not in my case. Too much data, too different purposes, too different handling depending on the scenario.

thrinn

I also use two different databases (one for photos and videos, second one for documents). But for me, it is sufficient that the Database menu already shows a list of databases most recently used.That's only one more click.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

sinus

I am also with Thorsten. I have 3 DBs but the way, like it is now, is very good for me. The last one will be opened (the one what I use most) and if I want another, I simply select in the list of the recent database another.

If there would be a list at the very beginning, I had to click always, when IMatch starts.
But of course, I understand your point of view fully.

Could you not directly click on the wished DB to start IMatch? Or create a link for this?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mike

iMatch can now also be used with the last database or just with the welcome screen and the selection option. Nobody would have to change their preferred starting method. Personally, I change these settings depending on which way of working is dominant at the time.

But as I said, I know it's a special request for the joy of elegance and not an important function ;-)

I now have links to the iMatch databases both on the desktop and within concept maps in research environments. I'll definitely survive it ;-)

ubacher

I also use three databases. I am, however, more interested in P&G: adding the db name to the P&G file,
Selecting db to be packed and where it is to be stored from a list rather than having to enter both each time.

Jingo

Not sure if you know but you can start IMatch with a specific database via command line parameters: 
"c:\program files\photools.com\IMatch*\IMatch*.exe" "c:\documents\my IMatch database.imd5"

So, you could setup shortcuts to directly launch IMatch into a specific database.   :)

Mario

Quote from: Jingo on May 19, 2024, 05:07:53 PMNot sure if you know but you can start IMatch with a specific database via command line parameters:
"c:\program files\photools.com\IMatch*\IMatch*.exe" "c:\documents\my IMatch database.imd5"

So, you could setup shortcuts to directly launch IMatch into a specific database.  :)
That's what I do :)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mike

I haven't tried the command prompt yet, but the shortcuts I have on the desktop or elsewhere are all directly connected to the .imd5 database files and not to the .exe. The links specifically open the required databases. Either way, we at least seem to be following similar paths  :)