ARW file junk view

Started by mosdubindi1, May 14, 2024, 09:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mosdubindi1

Hello Mario,

For newly imported ARW files there are junk view, see attached. WIC analysis also attached. Version of IMatch is 2023.9.

When I've imported the same ARW some time ago (do not remember exactly, maybe one year or more ago) the view was OK.

Do you have any idea, what could be the problem?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz  3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 64,0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎01.‎08.‎2020
OS build 19045.4291
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0

BR,
Dmitry

mopperle

Can you upload (or link to a cloudspace) such a file to check?

Mario

Both WIC and LibRaw recognize the file and can load it.
The embedded preview is only 1616 x 1080 pixel so I assume that IMatch asks WIC (or LibRaw when you use it) to develop the full RAW data (default minimal preview size is 2,000 pixel). And what you see is the result.

If you use WIC, try switching to LibRaw:

+ Edit menu > Preferences > Application
+ Search for photools and enable the "photools.com RAW Processing" option
+ Close the dialog with OK.

Select the problem files in a File Window and press Shift+Ctrl+F5. Use the "Force Update" option.
IMatch now processes the files with LibRaw instead of Windows WIC.

Maybe Windows WIC does not support the ARW variant you use (there are many, many different versions of ARW now) and LibRaw handles it better. If neither WIC nor LibnRaw handle the ARW file, we have to wait for Microsoft and the LibRaw project to catch up. The joys of proprietary and undocumented file formats like ARW.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mosdubindi1

Thanks a lot Mario,

Switching to LibRaw helps, the preview is OK now.

Mario

Very good.
Then Microsoft has yet to catch up to your ARW variant. If thy bother.

The general idea of WIC is that Microsoft provides the infrastructure and plumbing, and the camera vendor provides a WIC codec that handles their precious proprietary RAW files. Then all software that supports WIC can access the previews and RAW data without knowing any internal details about the file format.

But Sony does not bother and is not providing a WIC codec. Which is shameful for them. How much can it cost them to deliver a WIC codec with their cameras.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook