VIEWER: a display quirk?

Started by Jingo, March 07, 2024, 04:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingo

Hi.. I just started using the Viewer in IMatch more than I even did before as part of my culling workflow (see https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,14080.0.html if interested!).  I did notice a quirk that I wanted to bring up here in case they are "bugs" or just oddness on my system.

Workflow:
  • I select say 5 images from the File Window and hit Enter to go into the viewer (the last image is selected).

IMatch2023x64_1k2Wo0LLrp.png

• The last selected image from the File Window appears in full screen and I have the thumbstrip at the bottom.

IMatch2023x64_ubmJJAAYT0.jpg

• I select all 5 images in the filmstrip by clicking the first thumbnail and then shift-clicking the last one and get a Phantom extra image box:

IMatch2023x64_6SGo2M2m7d.jpg

Doesn't seem to happen all the time and a restart of IMatch fixed it... but it has happened to me a few times during different IMatch sessions (even after a restart).  

I also noticed cases where the LAST image selected from a group of thumbs (the one originally loaded when the viewer opened) shows in the first panel (top-left).  Then, when you click the first box and drag the images a bit, the correct first image shows in that box again.  I'll update the thread with a screenshot when it happens to me again.. and include the log file.

Thx! - Andy.

Jingo

This just happened to me again on a fresh load... so, it appears to only occur after you load an even number of images for compare (say 8 of them) and they try to load an odd number of images say 7... that extra box is filled with this artifact image.

Jingo

Just noticed another issue in the viewer when comparing multiple images.

I select 12 images in the fileviewer and load them in the viewer.  All 12 images are nearly identical as you can see in the thumbnail strip.  I select the first four images and the 4-image comparison view shows at 100% zoom.  The first image is NOT zoomed to the same spot the other 3 are upon loading even though the images are nearly identical.

IMatch2023x64_hpCz8qiMIH.jpg

If I click into the first image and drag slightly, then the image aligns to the others:

IMatch2023x64_5PcHJnqxdr.jpg

If I click into any of the other aligned images and drag slightly or left click, then the first image re-aligns with the rest of them:

IMatch2023x64_YeCqwc4wps.jpg

Jingo

Any thoughts on these two issues?

Jingo

Hi Mario - I know you are very busy with other items - but was wondering if you need any other info from me to review these 2 items related to display issues when loading multiple images into the viewer?  Thx! - Andy.

Mario

I have not looked into this yet.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I could not reproduce the "ghost" image panel using your description.
I've started with 5 selected files (also tried 7) and selected the images using <Shift> as you describe. selecting from the first to the last, or the last to the first, or randomly selecting files in the film strip using <Ctrl>+click.
When I select 6 images and then deselect one of the images, an empty image panel shows instead of the 6. image.

Played with that for a couple of minutes, trying all variations I could come up with. Also tried on my laptop, which has a Intel graphic card and a separate NVidia card. Same result, no problems. 

I have also seen no similar reports, so this might be a very specific issue on your PC. Maybe it is some sort of DirectX / graphic card artifact?

I could reproduce the second effect. When switching from 1 to 4 images side-by-side, 3 new image panels are created. They start with an origin of 0/0, but the retained image panel kept its origin. I have fixed this for the next release.

If you click an image and release, the origins of all images are synchronized, which is why this solved the issue.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Thx Mario - I too wasn't able to reproduce in the latest version.  Tried loading an odd number of images (not a problem), tried loading an even number and then an odd number (not a problem)...hmm.  Could be something on my system that a system reboot fixed.. who knows!  I'll keep an eye on it as I cull my latest photoshoot.

Excellent on #2... this will speed up the workflow even more!  Appreciated!!

Jingo

Confirmed #2 issue is corrected and working great in the latest version.  Thx!

Mario

Very good. Thanks for testing and feedback!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator