Option to have smaller menu bars

Started by Ger, March 30, 2024, 09:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ger

The new menu bar looks nice, but it would be great if height/size could be smaller.

FR request is based on topic https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,14130.msg99305.html#msg99305  (Inconsistent height in bars a the top)

Mario

The size of menu bars is controlled by Windows. IMatch cannot go below the minimal height. IMatch allows you to use larger menu bars for easier readability on high-res monitors.

As for the View tabs (I assume this is what you mean), the default size is the same font size as Windows uses for controls everywhere. If your monitor has a screen height of 1200 pixels or more, IMatch uses slightly larger fonts (32 instead of 25 pixels on my monitor) to make the View tabs easier to see and access, especially via tap.

This is not an inconsistency, it's a deliberate decision.

I see you use a minute height of only 16 pixels for ribbons. What kind of monitor resolution do you use that such small ribbons even work? Pixel dimensions and DPI scaling? And you have even down-scaled app panels by -2. What kind of monitor requires this?

Ps.: In your screen shot you show icon size. This is irrelevant for ribbons. It's only used for the old-style toolbars.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ger

Three monitors, same resolution. (Eizo EV2760/EV2750)

My settings under Scale & layout (Windows 11):
Scale: 100% (Recommended)
Display Resolution: 2560x1440 (Recommended)

jch2103

I also think the font sizes are too large (and larger than I remember them being before). Likewise fonts for the tabs. See comparison screenshots of iMatch v latest version of Photoshop. My 4K monitor (3840 x 2160) setting is Scale 150% (Recommended). 
John

Mario

@jch2103

Please check under Edit menu > Preferences > Application: Menu Size for the font size you have dialed in. If it is set to "Normal", IMatch uses the same font size for menus as Windows does everywhere. The font size in your menus looks more like "Larger" or "Big". It should be the same height as the panel caption font and the control font (Sort Profile drop-down).

Looking at your File Window ribbon, I should probably allow the search bar to shrink a bit more to leave more space for the sort profile drop-down.

I'm still thinking about either

a) Disable the larger font for monitor > 1200 pixel for the View tabs or
b) make it an option (since it is helpful in many situations).

I don't like adding more and more options, though. So I might just disable it and see how it goes.

The problem I see is that Result Windows use the same font as the other View tabs, and it users work with many Result Windows, it might get crowded quickly on computers with a screen height of 1200 pixels or more...

Or, idea!, maybe, I link it to the menu size? If a user dials in a larger menu font, he/she probably does it to improve readability. And in that case, making the View tabs use a larger font would also be beneficial.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I've implemented the "Use menu font for View tabs" and I kinda like it. I think the font for the tabs should be a bit larger than the menu font, at least for the normal menu size? What do you think?

Normal, large and big menu font size on a 4K monitor. Normal means "default Windows menu font size":

Image2.jpg
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

For some reason, my Menu Size and Toolbar Size were set for Big; I've changed to Normal and it looks better. Also, Ribbon Height was set for 32; I've reduced it to 28 and it also looks better on my 4K monitor. I'll note that I prefer smaller fonts/etc. than many people are comfortable with. 

Not surprisingly, I prefer "Use menu font for View tabs" set to normal. But I'm sure others will be happy with the larger font versions. 
John

Mario

This all depends on your preferences and eye sight, of course.
I also use normal menus and, but I prefer a 32px ribbon height for easier clicking, especially on my laptop or when using touch.
I also dial in a larger font size for the Metadata Panel and Keywords Panel, to easier see and differentiate .,

I've settled to a View tab size of menu font size + 2px when the menu size is set to Normal, and the menu font size in the Larger/Big settings. This makes them easy to see and use, and grow when the user prefers a larger menu font.

We're looking at 5 and 8K screens in the future, and IMatch can adapt.
And, since the "my" icons are now vectors, I'm no longer limited to choose between 16px or 32px :)  The icons used for the View tabs use the same height as the font - whatever font size is used. Much better.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator