Customizable Keyboard Shortcuts (or at least the ability to disable existing)

Started by Damit, March 13, 2023, 03:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damit

One thing that IMatch lacks IMO is the inability to customize your keyboard shortcuts. I use customizable keyboard shortcuts in almost every program I use that allows them and was very surprised IMatch does not feature them. I have read there is no intention of implementing them as in seems it will be very laborious to implement and due to the belief that only 5% would use it, based on a study that estimates the amount of Microsoft Office users that use keyboard shortcuts. I assert that the IMatch user is quite different than an office user, and perhaps a much higher percentage would use it. I also believe that including keyboard shortcuts aligns with IMatch's quest of giving the user full control.

If customizable keyboard shortcuts are not implemented, it would be great if one could disable specific shortcuts which may inhibit workflow in one way or another.

Mario

No user-defined keyboard shortcuts. Too much work for a very small number of users.
Same for disabling keyboard shortcuts.

Why would you need to disable keyboard shortcuts how can a keyboard shortcut cause issues with your workflow?
I don't recall any related request so I wonder...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Damit

My main concern is with the Ratings.  I find the current ability to just press a number 0-4 to rate songs will lead to ratings being assigned by mistake.  And if I don't notice in time, I can't undo something that may wipe hours if not days of work.  If I have taken days to cull and rate images and then highlight a large portion of them to assign some metadata, and while doing so mistakenly hit a 1, for example, all those files will be given a rating of one.  Now lets say I do one of the many actions that will remove the ability to undo.  At that point all my previous work would be lost.  That is why I lock icons and that is why I took the ratings portion from the file window: to avoid this circumstance. Hitting the alt button while clicking makes the assignment of metadata with the mouse more deliberate. But now I find that the short cut removes these protections as I can just as easily mistaken hit a key as to click an icon.

Apparently, at some point, one had to combine the number with Ctrl, which to me is much more logical to prevent one from making a mistake and to insure that the assigning of a rating is a deliberate one. I am not sure why that was changed (if indeed it was that way), I assume for convenience.  I realize it is much more convenient to just hit a number especially when going through a lot of images, but keeping a finger on ctrl while hitting the number pad does not seem to be that hard.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. I still love IM, I just wish it had this functionality.

Mario

QuoteApparently, at some point, one had to combine the number with Ctrl, which to me is much more logical to prevent one from making a mistake
The switch to doing ratings with <0> to <6> was done to improve speed and workflow. We have discussed this at the time and decided to change this. It's also consistent with how ratings are applied in the Viewer.

I must say I have never accidentally rated a file. You need to click into the File Window to make it the active window and then press a key between <0> to <6>. You usually don't type in text while working in the File Window, which makes this pretty safe, I guess.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Damit

I have deleted all ratings and am keeping an eye on this to see if it presents a problem.  Maybe the ratings were coming previous programs or from LR. If it does not present an issue I may just use the ratings but for now I am just going to use the first few categories that forces one to use the shift key.

Damit

I just realized I cannot see how many likes one of my requests has gotten.  I understand taking the link off so that one cannot like their own suggestion or comment, but it would be nice to see how many likes your feature request got.

thrinn

Quote from: Damit on February 29, 2024, 05:54:13 PMI just realized I cannot see how many likes one of my requests has gotten.  I understand taking the link off so that one cannot like their own suggestion or comment, but it would be nice to see how many likes your feature request got.
You can, I believe: If somebody else liked your post, you should see...

2024-02-29 18_17_36-Harmonize _Assign Person_ and _Link Persons_ dialog – Mozilla Firefox.jpg
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator