[BBD] Wrong textual duration for pinned events

Started by janb83, December 23, 2023, 02:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janb83

Pinned events show the correct duration in the duration bar below the event in the timeline (blue bar), but the textual duration that can be activated inside the event layout shows the dates of the first and last file rather than the pinned event dates.

See attached screenshot

Sidenote: It would be nice if there was a configuration to not overlap the display of events that do not have overlapping dates.

Mario

I think IMatch is right and this behavior is by design.
This display is not designed to display "pinned date to end date" or "first date to pinned date" but "date of the first and last file in the event". This makes it clearly defined.

The display is independent from where you pin the event.
You can pin an event to a date complete outside the date range covered by the files. But that does not change the date range covered by the files in the event or this display.

QuoteSidenote: It would be nice if there was a configuration to not overlap the display of events that do not have overlapping dates.
Just disable the compact layout option then: Smart Axis Folding
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

janb83

Quote from: Mario on December 23, 2023, 04:36:23 PMI think IMatch is right and this behavior is by design.

This makes no sense. If it was by design, then the duration length bar (blue bar) should be the same length. There is no logical explanation for them to be different. And the whole point of pinning an event is to say "the event was actually longer or at another date then the files indicate". Displaying the file date range instead of the pinned date range completely contradicts this. Currently, if you have files dated 2023 for photos taken in 1998, the event will be placed in 1998 if you pin it but show 2023 in the text description.

Mario

So you suggest to add a second set of from/to display values that references the pinned time range?
That would be more of a feature request than a bug report, I believe?

Or would you always output the pinned from/to? What if another user wants to output the actual from/to?
Should we make this an option? To pick one? Or maybe display both?
This is why I see this as a feature request that needs some input from other users.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

janb83

Right now, to me this is a bug because there is no consistency. Why does the pinned date affect the blue bar, when both are supposed to show the same thing according to the menu? A user has no idea why they should ever be different.

So, yes, I would simply replace the text representation with the pinned dates. If you feel this is, for some weird reason, not what every user needs, a configuration would be possible. But then this also needs to affect the blue bar, because those really should be consistent.

Mario

I have added some improvements for this for the next IMatch release.
See release note #2272
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator