Slider knob jumps to the right

Started by ben, November 17, 2023, 11:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

iMatch 2023.4.6

I click the zoom slider above the file window while the cursor is aligned horizontally in the middle of the slider knob. Then the slider jumps to the right and the zoom level is changed.

Expected behaviour:
The zoom level doesn't change and the slider knob doesn't move
The slider moves only when i move the cursor.

Mario

Show me a screen shot of the ribbon. Does it have collapsed the slider because the ribbon cannot fit all elements otherwise? I'll look into it.

Tip: It is far quicker and easier to zoom the File Window using the standard <Ctrl>+<Wheel> action. Same as in your web browser.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Yes.. happens to me as well.  The slider appears correct and the ribbon can fit all elements.  When I click the "knob", it jumps all the way to the right.

IMatch2023x64_5uQY7ceh2u.png

Mario

Hm, I tried to reproduce that. But when I click the slider knob, the slider does not change until I start to move the mouse.
When I click left or right of the knob, the knob centers on that position.

I've tried on a 4K monitor, will try a smaller rez next.
Which screen rez and DPI do you use?

If it jumps all the way to the right, the slider miscalculates the percentage from from the mouse position in relation to the slider area I guess. Need to play with this, setting up differently sized sliders in my test bed.
This is my first responsive vector-based slider control so there is a good chance for bugs :)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

I am using screen resolution of 2560x1440 @100% scaling...  it happens on my end as soon as I click the knob.  When I click anywhere in the slider, it does take me directly to that scaling.. but it isn't as fast as the old toolbar for some reason.  I'll need to give that a play and create a video to show it in action.. but might need a reboot first to ensure it isn't something else on my system.

not a major issue since I always use the Ctrl-wheel to get fine tuned control anyway.  I am loving the vector icons and have gotten used to the flat and muted color palette!

Mario

Quotebut it isn't as fast as the old toolbar for some reason (...)
What is not as fast? Clicking buttons? Using the slider to scale the File Window contents?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Just the scale slider to redraw the thumbnails on the screen.. when I click far to the left... there is a pretty good delay before the thumbnails are drawn.  I'll post a video shortly.

thrinn

This issue is difficult to reproduce. I never had the "jump to the right" effect, but sometimes the mouse pointer seems to be a bit "off": Here, the pointer is exactly were I clicked, but the knob moved a bit to the right of the pointer.
2023-11-17 17_02_50-IM2020 Pictures.imd5.jpg

This happened in the Categories view. In Media & Folders, I don't see this effect. (I use the same Layout in both views).
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

ben

See the pic.
The knob was exactly in the middle before i pressed the button. The cursor was in the middle of the knob.
The pics shows the state after i pressed the left button and have not released it yet.

1920 x 1080
Where do i check my dpi settings?

Mario

This looks like the slider has been narrowed to make room for other control element.
This is a feature or ribbons. They can reduce widths of edit, drop-down and slider elements when there is not enough room to fit everything at full width.
Do you use the default ribbon height (32px).
The DPI settings for your monitor are shown in the Display settings (right-click on the desktop).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: thrinn on November 17, 2023, 05:08:19 PMI never had the "jump to the right" effect, but sometimes the mouse pointer seems to be a bit "off":
This may be. The slider in thumbnail layouts has only a range of 1 to 9 (usually) and this makes the knob move in larger increments (depending on the slider width, screen resolution, DPI settings, collapsing state).

I remember that I had some issues with this during development and it took some time to get it right.
At least I'd thought I had it all fixed.

I still cannot reproduce this, even with collapsed sliders and different screen resolutions and DPI settings.
Will continue tomorrow or Sunday. Any hints  appreciated.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

it seems clicking the button jumps the slider to the right so maybe that is what we are seeing and it is not a bug?  

If the knob/button is already near the end, it "jumps" to the end when clicked... if the button is further to the left, then clicking it just jumps it a bit to the right.

I made a video and attached which shows this... thoughts?

thrinn

When I make the ribbon height very large (64 instead of my usual 32), the offset between mouse pointer and knob seems to get larger.
For example, slider is in the middle:

2023-11-17 20_03_58-IM2020 Pictures.imd5.jpg

Clicking on the knob results in:
2023-11-17 20_08_34-IM2020 Pictures.imd5.jpg

My screen resolution is 4K UHD (3840x2160) with scaling of 150%.

I also wonder why the slider hase been compressed. There is still lots of space available. And the quick search field, for example, still looks as wide as before.
2023-11-17 20_12_02-IM2020 Pictures.imd5.jpg
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

QuoteMy screen resolution is 4K UHD (3840x2160) with scaling of 150%.
The slider width is calculated as 100 x text scaling factor x scaled screen vertical DPI / 96.
On a 4K screen with 150% and default text scaling this gives a slider with of 133 pixel total, including the horizontal padding.
The minimum size is icon height x 3.

I use 4K monitors with 150% scaling and text scaling set to 1 (default) and I don't see a width reduction. Which ribbon size do you use? Is it already reduced when you open the database (Just open the database again from the File menu, this rebuilds everything).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ben

I am using:
1920 x 1080
125% scaling
I havent changed any iMatch settings regarding ribbon size.

Mario

I think I've worked it out. I could sorta reproduce it when switching to 96 pixel ribbon and modified the math to be more precise.
We'll know for sure when you have a try with the next release.

Given that I've shipped 3 (!) releases within a week, and it always takes a day, not much else was done this week and I will have to spend some time with real life things in the next week.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator