API for IMatch Events?

Started by joe, November 24, 2023, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe

Hi. To be clear, I'm asking about IMatch Events file categorization and not the internal programming events (which I know exists). Is there an API for this area?

I have a need for manipulating the event for an item, and given an event to query the details, such as the start and end date (including actual from files and the pinned values).

Please advise if something exists already that I'm not finding! Thank you

Mario

These APIs exist but are currently undocumented and considered internal.

Frankly, there are less and less users writing scripts and apps for IMatch. A new generation of users and all that. And IMatch does most things out-of-the-box now that required custom apps years ago.

It's just too way too much work to document everything, keep the APIs supported and stable for years or implement versioned APIs and document and support these, when the only person ever using the APIs is me.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

David_H

Quote from: Mario on November 24, 2023, 03:51:23 PMThese APIs exist but are currently undocumented and considered internal.

Frankly, there are less and less users writing scripts and apps for IMatch. A new generation of users and all that. And IMatch does most things out-of-the-box now that required custom apps years ago.

It's just too way too much work to document everything, keep the APIs supported and stable for years or implement versioned APIs and document and support these, when the only person ever using the APIs is me.
I use the event apis (reading data only) on the understanding that they may change, break my stuff or do things I wasn't expecting on any given update and I can only blame myself when things don't work... (So you do have at least one user using them!)

Mario - your documentation in im-event-manager.js was perfectly fine for an undocumented interface.

Mario

QuoteMario - your documentation in im-event-manager.js was perfectly fine for an undocumented interface.
Good for you!

It is not that I actively intent to hide or obfuscate endpoints and I ship most apps with documented source code.
All IMatch apps (including the Event View) can be opened in your favorite web browser, which allows you do debug the code, watch network interaction, see which endpoints are called, the data sent and returned. You can step through the source code etc.

It's just so that I can easily change endpoints that are not documented "officially", which saves me a lot of work.

The number of users who can program or are interested in it is diminishing (which is kinda sad).
It makes no sense anymore for me to invest time and "money" in developing and documenting stable APIs and support them "forever" for maybe less than a handful of users. It may be super-important for one or two users to have APIs for some specific IMatch feature - but it is totally irrelevant for 99.999% of the user base. Since my time is limited, I focus on things a larger share of the IMatch user base will benefit from.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

joe

Definitely include me as one of those (few) developers! Always appreciate your work, Mario. I'm programmatically reading the event information now which is very helpful. (Just for my own personal file processing/organizing mainly.) That said, I'd like your guidance for the following.

I'm considering ways to add or remove a file from an event. I had wanted to use file-based events but don't see how to do that programmatically for that type. I'm now thinking I could use (@Keywords) category-based events. For those, I can add the categories programmatically to my files. Might there be any performance or other concerns with this approach? Thank you!

Mario

There is no API for that. IMatch manipulates the event graph only internally.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator