FULL SCREEN PEEK

Started by ubacher, October 13, 2023, 09:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

Since the topic PopUp Quick View is closed for comments I like to reanimate it here.

The issue is to conveniently/quickly display an image full screen size AND
after viewing to remove the displayed image to regain the screen space.

With Quickview: F9-Q to open. But that assumes you have the quickview panel
set up to be full screen - which makes it then hard to use when you want to have other
panel in view.
To close you need to click the close X on the quickview panel.

Using the external viewer (Ctrl-Enter) is for me easier (than F9-Q) to open and
suffers from the same closing problem. BUT: It displays full screen and it still allows me to use the quickview panel in
not-full-screen mode.

For me the most convenient solution would be to CTRL-click the thumbnail and have the image
display full screen only AS LONG as the mouse click is held down.

I would call this option FULL SCREEN PEEK.

----------------------------------
About Irfanview being quicker to open: This was an issue sometime in the past.
It is now no faster than QuickView.

sinus

I like also the idea, to see quickly an image bigger, independent from the quick view.

Therefore I like the idea to use the Tool Tip for this, because you can hover over the icon on a thumb and you get the image on screen.

And if you go away with the mouse, the bigger image goes away.

Mario gave a good variable to use an image in the Tool Tip.
We can there choose the size of such an image. 
I tried this with making the image quite big and it works perfectly. 

The only problem is here, that the location of this windows changes, depending on the location of the thumb. Therefore we cannot use it for bigger images (or a lot of text).

If this tool-tip-window would display always in the same postion, say in the centre of the screen, then this would be a very interesting solution. But I have no clue, if this is possible and complicated to implement. 

Generally I would support such a "full screen peek", like Ubacher writes, in whatever way is possible and feasible.

I attach a sample of the Tool Tip with an image, what is out of screen. If you use a smaller image, the window will be more and more viewable. 
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Tveloso

Quote from: ubacher on October 13, 2023, 09:46:03 AMUsing the external viewer (Ctrl-Enter) is for me easier (than F9-Q) to open and
suffers from the same closing problem. BUT: It displays full screen and it still allows me to use the quickview panel in
not-full-screen mode.
Using IMatch's own Viewer (Enter), instead of the associated External Viewer (Ctrl+Enter) is I think faster, and because you can close the Viewer with the Escape Key, this really functions for me as a "Full Screen Peek"...(I do this often).  Granted, that pressing enter on a single file means that the entire scope is (starts to be) sent to the viewer, but it's still very fast to see that single file, and closing with escape stops the background loading of the other files...(which I don't really notice is happening anyway).

But some people tend to be more Keyboard Centric, and others more Mouse Centric.  I'm the former, so I'm happy with using the Viewer for this.  This FR though, is for a more Mouse Centric way of achieving this, independent of the Viewer and the QuickView Panel.

One thing that came to mind is the possibility of assigning this functionality to the Right Mouse Button.  The Right Mouse Button of course puts up the context menu, but it does so only after it's released.  Perhaps if the Right Mouse Button is held down, IMatch could switch to the "Full Screen Peek" after a short (sub-second) wait time?

I imagine that it may not be possible for IMatch to intercept the right mouse button, as it may be under the control of the UI Toolkit and/or Windows.  But I thought I'd throw out this idea...so hovering on the ToolTip icon opens the ToolTip, and a long right-click (on just that icon also, or maybe anywhere in the Thumbnail), would open the "Full Screen Peek"?...
--Tony

Mario

QuoteGranted, that pressing enter on a single file means that the entire scope is (starts to be) sent to the viewer,
You can disable this under Edit > Preferences > Application: Viewer: Single selection loads all files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

XYPlorer (the Explorer replacement software I use) has this feature (enabled via a parameter) when you hold the left mouse button down when hovering the icon of an images (or PDFs/documents/text/audio/video files) in the file view.  I use it constantly to get a sneak peek of the image when I am in a detail view mode rather than a thumbnail view mode. I can see something implemented that mirrors this - maybe with a shift/cmd/alt combo if folks want a bit more labor to enforce the feature.

Mario

When you hold down the SPACE bar, the file under the mouse cursor in the File Window is loaded into the Quick View panel.
Keep the mouse moving to peak other files. The size of the file displayed in the Quick View Panel depends on the zoom size selected and the size of the Quick View Panel, of course.

Press <Enter> to open the Viewer. Switch it to full-screen mode.
<Alt>+<Tab> to switch back to IMatch.
To see another image full-screen, select it and press <Enter>. The Viewer loads it and comes into the foreground.
Navigate to see other files etc.
<Alt>+<Tab> to switch back to IMatch.
Works well on a single-monitor system. And even better on a multi-monitor setup, where you can keep the Quick View Panel in full-screen mode on the second screen all the time and then peek on images in the File Window with the SPACE bar.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Tveloso

Quote from: Mario on October 13, 2023, 02:38:35 PM
QuoteGranted, that pressing enter on a single file means that the entire scope is (starts to be) sent to the viewer,
You can disable this under Edit > Preferences > Application: Viewer: Single selection loads all files.
Thank you Mario.  I made this configuration change soon after you posted this.  Yet even now, I sometimes still forget to Ctrl+A in a FileWindow, when I intend to send all files to the Viewer (in the back of my mind, still expecting the previously configured behavior - where a single selected file will do that).  Old habits really do die hard.  But I do like the newly configured behavior better.  Thanks again.

Quote from: Mario on March 21, 2024, 06:38:57 PMWhen you hold down the SPACE bar, the file under the mouse cursor in the File Window is loaded into the Quick View panel.
Keep the mouse moving to peak other files.
And this is really very cool!

Another habit I hope to form in my IMatch usage.  I hope ubacher doesn't mind me saying this, but this functionality might even obviate this FR.
--Tony

Mees Dekker

I would very much appreciate if the suggestion by Ubacher could be implemented.

Mario

This feature has been implemented for IMatch 2024/2025.
Middle-click or SPACE+leftclick on a file in a File Window opens a full-screen Peek View.

Performance depends on whether or not the image is already in the cache or if a cache image must be generated on-the-fly.
Performance for cache images / JPG files is virtually instantaneous (< 1 second).

The Peek View uses a black background.
Images are always loaded in fit-to-screen mode.
There is an option which allows smaller images to be enlarged to fill the screen. If an image has been enlarged > 100%, the Peek View indicates this with an icon in the lower-right corner.

When the user releases the mouse, the Peek View is hidden and the File Window is focused again.
It's quite slick. Used it all day ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on March 21, 2024, 06:38:57 PMWhen you hold down the SPACE bar, the file under the mouse cursor in the File Window is loaded into the Quick View panel.
Keep the mouse moving to peak other files. 
HA!  I NEVER knew this.... Lol.. it works!  Always learning about the cool things you can do in IMatch.. Thx Mario....