Metadata Panel shows "54 deg 0'0.00'' N" for Altitude

Started by axel.hennig, September 29, 2023, 02:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axel.hennig

Hi,

I've imported a video-file from my old Samsung Galaxy S8, set GPS-coordinates from the Map-Panel and then used IMatch-reverse-geocoding. The result is, that the Altitude is shown as: 54 deg 0'0.00'' N (should be 54 m). I didn't had problems with videos from that source before (Android / Camera software is not changed).

sc01.jpg

ECP (ExifTool Command Processor) seems to show everything correct:
[XMP-iptcExt]   Location Created GPS Altitude   : 54 m
[XMP-iptcExt]   Location Created GPS Latitude   : 52 deg 30' 58.68" N
[XMP-iptcExt]   Location Created GPS Longitude  : 13 deg 22' 41.46" E
[XMP-iptcExt]   Location Shown GPS Altitude     : 54 m
[XMP-iptcExt]   Location Shown GPS Latitude     : 52 deg 30' 58.68" N
[XMP-iptcExt]   Location Shown GPS Longitude    : 13 deg 22' 41.46" E
[XMP-exif]      GPS Altitude                    : 54 m
[Composite]     GPS Altitude                    : 54 m Above Sea Level

Database-Diagnostics shows a Warning (log attached): 1 files marked as pending for write-back which have no data to write-back. Fixed.

Second Database-Diagnostics does not show a Warning/Error.

File is marked again as pending for write-back. Writing back. Database-Diagnostics again with the same Warning as above (seems to be a loop).

Attached is the log-file (containing the Warning) and the output of the Metadata-Analyst.

The video (two versions, one before importing to IMatch and one after) can be downloaded here: https://c.gmx.net/@329885836172591305/QPrJcw-BRi60uS3894BNpw

I'm using IMatch 2023.3.2

Anyone any idea how to fix this?

Mario

I have downloaded the files and added them to my "metadata analysis" queue.
Maybe this is related to the ticket from Mees.

The XMP-exif Altitude tag used in the Default Metadata Panel layout shows the correct 54m.
So to the location shown and location created in the "IPTC Location" Metadata Panel layout.

Composite tags are created by ExifTool on-the-fly and imported by IMatch.
Not sure if this problem is in the input IMatch receives from ExifTool or if this happens elsewhere.
Like many tags, the Altitude tag has both a numerical value (54.00000) and a "formatted" value. The numerical value is correct in the database, the formatted value somehow uses the coordinate formatting. Strange.

I'll let you know what I find out.
I'll move this into the bug reports board since it sounds like a bug.

You are currently on place 9 in the metadata analysis list. This will be a busy weekend for me. Again.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

axel.hennig

Quote from: Mario on September 29, 2023, 02:36:51 PMYou are currently on place 9 in the metadata analysis list. This will be a busy weekend for me. Again.
I'm sorry to hear that. If it helps (to have a more relaxed weekend): This is not urgent for me. If I receive an answer in a couple of weeks/months I don't mind...

axel.hennig

Just figured out: It also happens to *.jpg-files (not related to videos).

Mario

This problem was caused by an invalid routine which accidentally formatted the raw Altitude numerical value using coordinate format. This happens as part of the mapping from the various location tags spread over different metadata standards (and Composite) to the official IPTC location shown / location created while synching between XMP, EXIF and XMP location tags internally (during file ingest and when the user modifies one or more of these tags).

IMatch does not use the formatted text value (only the numeric value) for Altitude anywhere. This glitch only shows e.g. in the Browser Metadata Panel layout which displays the formatted value for the Altitude or when you use the corresponding variable with the "formatted" format).

When using or writing coordinates (including Altitude) IMatch always uses the numerical value.

I have fixed this issue for the next release.
When you write back a file, the issue will 'auto-correct'.
If it disturbs you, you can reload metadata using Shift+Ctrl+F5, or use the numerical value for Altitude, like all the default IMatch Metadata Panel layouts do.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

axel.hennig

Mario

Quote from: axel.hennig on September 30, 2023, 05:02:28 PMThanks for already looking into this and fixing it.
I always look into all bug reports and fix all bugs. I hate (software) bugs, especially in IMatch.
I try to avoid them, but all software has bugs. And when IMatch would never have a bug, people would think it's to easy...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator