Question for 2023 before upgrading

Started by ben, September 09, 2023, 01:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Hello,

i am finally upgrading from iMatch 2021 to 2023 and i am currently reading through the pages "whats new 2023", "how imatch uses date and time" and the release notes. I created a file based backup of all files and also of the database.

I am worried a bit, since i have a mix of jpgs with and without time zone information.
As i understand, the default setting is, that iMatch uses " File.DateTime.Original". And i think that's also the option that i prefer.

Anything else i should do before upgrading?

Thanks for helping
Ben

Mario

IMatch uses the same "date & time sources" as before when ingesting files, as outlined here in detail: How IMatch uses Date and Time Information

The major change is that IMatch now stores the global File.DateTime on UTC and that it is more concerned when it comes to handling time zones, ensuring that the "create date" and "date subject created" managed in the database always have a time zone offset to make them well-defined.

The default settings make sure that most users won't even notice the UTC migration or that IMatch ensures time zone offset are added.

After almost 3 months of IMatch 2023 availability, both the database upgrade with the File.DateTime => UTC conversion and the time zone handling for files already in the database and new files coming in seems to work just fine.

The database migration process will inform you if there are files without usable date and time, files with undetermined time zones etc. as explained in the Welcome To IMatch 2023 help topic, which is a must read.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

Quote from: Mario on September 09, 2023, 04:17:37 PMAfter almost 3 months of IMatch 2023 availability, both the database upgrade with the File.DateTime => UTC conversion and the time zone handling for files already in the database and new files coming in seems to work just fine.
I upgraded and checked some testfiles regarding date & time and all seems ok. Very nice, thanks. 

I just did a mistake. I did a file based backup before installing 2023, but i haven't exported my custom metadata panels separately.
In iMatch 2023 i then imported the system metadata panels (as written in migrate_imatch2023.htm) and i selected "replace" instead of "merge". Now, my custom panels are gone (my mistake).

Can i replace some files from my backup?
If i have to re-install 2023 afterwards, thats fine.

Ben

Mario

Metadata Panel layouts are stored in the IMatch settings database.
When you restore it and then open IMatch 2023 again, your layouts will be back.

See The IMatch Settings Database
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook