Color-coding folders - Questions

Started by stefanjan2, June 29, 2023, 07:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanjan2

I was pleasantly surprised to see that a feature I asked for a while back seemed to have been partially addressed in the latest release, "Color-coding folders"

I have read the release notes and "Color-coding folders" in help but could do with a further explanation how this works.

My normal workflow is to drag images from my sd cards into a "Import" folder in imatch. After initial culling, I then use renamer to move the images into Year\Date folders.

As far as I can see, creating a new folder within imatch does not colour code it. But if I drag a new folder from outside imatch it does colour code it. It would be good if new folders created within imatch also colour coded the folders.

Also note that if I check in Preferences "Colour code new folders" and save it, "Colour code updated folders" also gets checked. Can you advise what is meant by "updated folders". What action would trigger a folder to be considered "updated"? I wouldn't want folders I had already colour coded to have the colour change because somehow it had been updated.

Mario

QuoteAs far as I can see, creating a new folder within imatch does not colour code it.
This is how this feature is designed to work. Only folders coming from the outside are covered by the indexing feature.
When you create a new folder yourself, you can color-code it yourself.

QuoteAlso note that if I check in Preferences "Colour code new folders" and save it, "Colour code updated folders" also gets checked.
Sounds like a bug? Please open a bug report.

QuoteCan you advise what is meant by "updated folders". What action would trigger a folder to be considered "updated"? I wouldn't want folders I had already colour coded to have the colour change because somehow it had been updated. 
A folder is considered updated when it is updated and re-indexed. Folder time stamp changed, new or updated files.
What you would expect.
You probably won't want to set this if you also color-code folders manually.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stefanjan2

QuoteSounds like a bug? Please open a bug report.
Done
QuoteYou probably won't want to set this if you also color-code folders manually.
I don't actually create folders manually, folders are created automatically using imatch renamer!

Perhaps you might surprise me with an enhancement in a future release which addresses folders created using renamer. Or perhaps not.

Mario

QuoteI don't actually create folders manually, folders are created automatically using imatch renamer!
This counts as manually created folders.
The new feature is about folders coming new into the database from the outside or folders being updated because of changes done by other software. Not for folders you create yourself inside IMatch. You can color-code them yourself easily enough.

QuotePerhaps you might surprise me with an enhancement in a future release which addresses folders created using renamer. Or perhaps not.

Do you know about the feature request board in this community? Feature requests mentioned in passing in a General Discussion topic are forgotten within a couple of days. I don't write them down, I don't remember them. Neither do other users.
If you write a proper feature request and other users engage with it and like it, I will look into it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stefanjan2

QuoteIf you write a proper feature request and other users engage with it and like it, I will look into it.
Done https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,13374.0.html

harrylah

Quote from: Mario on June 29, 2023, 07:31:58 PMA folder is considered updated when it is updated and re-indexed. Folder time stamp changed, new or updated files.
What you would expect.
You probably won't want to set this if you also color-code folders manually.

So how would I reset the once automatically generated folder color coding? For me, new or changed folders get picked up and also get correctly color-coded - and will stay in that color even though nothing changed ever since then...
What did I miss?

Mario

Quoteand will stay in that color even though nothing changed ever since then...
If you enable this option, IMatch sets the folder color-coding.
You then reset the color coding via the folder properties as you see fit.

The color-coding does not expire after some amount of time, if this is what you expected.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

harrylah

Quote from: Mario on August 16, 2023, 03:11:00 PMThe color-coding does not expire after some amount of time, if this is what you expected.
It was - but now that I know it does't expire, I can handle it. Thanks, Mario!