Color-coding for formula-based categories

Started by axel.hennig, August 11, 2023, 01:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axel.hennig

The IMatch help - Categories says:
sc1.jpg

I don't know why, but would it be possible to have this feature?

Reason: I would like to set-up some formula-based "check-categories" like "file is not assigned to top-level category xyz". If I scroll through some images I would like to see a color-bar in the File-Window indicating that this or that image has "problems".

Mario

This restriction was initially required (in IMatch 5) because of performance issues.

Over the years, computer performance has improved massively and I have improved performance for or re-implemented many time-critical sections of IMatch. In many cases, the performance now depends solely on disk speed and database speed.

I have pondered lifting the "no color-coding for formula categories" restriction occasionally and it is on my long-term to do list.
So, this morning I enabled it and made some tests. And performance was miserable, due to complexity, hierarchy, side-effects etc. to consider when using the standard routines available for this purpose in IMatch.

Then I've implemented a special set of functions, solely to deal with formula-based categories for color-coding, which is a lot more specialized than the normal routines used. And this worked out quite well.

So, in short, the next release of IMatch 2023 (2023.2.2) supports color-coding for formula-based categories.
Which will be helpful in some situations, e.g. color-flagging files in one of the "No this or that" child categories of the IMatch Workflow categories set, or similar.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

axel.hennig

Mario

Quote from: axel.hennig on September 11, 2023, 01:55:16 PMThis works really great, so thanks again!
You're welcome. Don't overdo it, though. Unless you work with smaller databases or you have a beefy PC.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook