Video player improvements

Started by javiavid, September 22, 2023, 12:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

javiavid

1. I think it would be interesting to have an image in the player before pressing play. Perhaps it could be the same one that is generated for the file explorer thumbnail.
This way it would behave the same as photos and when you are viewing a folder you can continuously view photos and videos using the arrows.

2. Basic shortcuts activated while browsing the file explorer, currently you have to click on the video playback window.

- Play/stop - Space bar
- Skip forward 5 seconds - CTRL + right (so as not to interfere with selecting the next photo/video)
- Skip 5 seconds back - CTRL + left (so as not to interfere with selecting the next photo/video)

3. Full screen video playback just like with photos. Perhaps this could be optional in the configuration because it takes a while for the video to load.

Mario

2. Windows sends keyboard events to the active window.
This is why you need to activate the Quick View Panel before all the keyboard shortcuts work: General Usage

3. A full screen mode already exists. Click the corresponding icon or press <F>.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

javiavid

All the improvements I ask for are to polish the experience and make it more enjoyable, I know it is possible to do things differently and with more intermediate steps, but these changes would allow a smoother experience.

1. The photos are visible (quick view), the videos are not.
2. I understand that this can be programmed as you wish, right?
3. In full screen (enter) the photos are visible, the videos are not.

Before it was also possible to watch videos with CTRL+enter, now it's better, but I think that if it was equal to the photos it would be perfect.

Maybe this is not the time to make these changes or maybe they will never be made, but I just wanted to contribute some ideas to improve the program.

Mario

Quote3. In full screen (enter) the photos are visible, the videos are not.
Enter opens files in the Viewer. The video player is integrated into the Quick View Panel. Different features.

Quote2. I understand that this can be programmed as you wish, right?
Hacking something is always possible. But why? Global hotkeys are a nuisance and often interfere with the UX.
If you want to play the video automatically when you navigate the File Window, enable auto play in the video player.

Quote1. The photos are visible (quick view), the videos are not.
If a video is selected, the Quick View panel exchanges the "view" (window) that can load and display cache images with a video view (window) that can load and render media. There is no way to somehow make it load IMatch cache images, the video player streams media via the graphic card.

You can see previews of videos by hovering the mouse over the thumbnail in the File Window. Size depends on the thumbnail size in the database.

You can make the video player play videos automatically.

You can hold down <SPACE> to preview the image or video under the mouse cursor in the File Window (see File Window help).

I think that's plenty of ways to view videos already.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

javiavid

Ok, thanks. 
Although I think there is an error in Auto play, when you go from video to photo and then to video, auto play is disabled.

Mario

Quote from: javiavid on September 26, 2023, 10:49:20 AMOk, thanks.
Although I think there is an error in Auto play, when you go from video to photo and then to video, auto play is disabled.
Please open a bug report then. This way I can see it, track it, fix it, document it and add it to the release notes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

javiavid

I have already seen that you have added it for the next version, thank you.
For the next one I add it to bugs.