[BBD] Imatch 2023 Trial cannot open 2021 DB

Started by WebEngel, June 18, 2023, 07:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WebEngel

The error message is
"DB needs updated" -- ok, expected that
"Cannot do when read mode" -- makes sense, however DB is NOT in "Read-only"
"happens when DB > 30 days" -- no, DB is only 1 hour old.

System clock is correct

Mario

Please always ZIP and attach the IMatch log file when you report such issues (see log file).

Are you using the licensed version of IMatch 2023 or the trial version?
When IMatch reports that the database is in read-only mode:
a) the database is marked as read-only on disk
b) the user has insufficient privileges to open the database in writable mode
c) the user has enabled the option to open databases in read-only mode (Database menu)
d) a trial version of IMatch is used and the database is older than 30 days

The log file will tell me more.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

WebEngel

Trias version as stated in subject.
None of the above criteriea applies here.
Trying to attach the log file now...

WebEngel

Took me a while to find out you need to go the "Preview" in order to upload attachments...

And btw, the DLLs reported as missing in the Log file are really missing...They are present in my Imatch-2021 folder with timestamp 2022-10, but not in the Imatch-2023 folder.

sinus

Quote from: WebEngel on June 18, 2023, 02:30:46 PMTook me a while to find out you need to go the "Preview" in order to upload attachments...

Ha, thanks for that. :)
I never found this out, how to upload attachement as an answer.

Now I know, thank you!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

WebEngel

Quote from: sinus on June 18, 2023, 03:49:38 PMI never found this out, how to upload attachement as an answer.
Serious?  You as the forum veteran?
Glad to help, greetings from Olten

thrinn

But don't you get this option to attach files after clicking on "Reply"?
2023-06-18 17_58_36-Post reply – Mozilla Firefox.jpg
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Quote from: WebEngel on June 18, 2023, 02:30:46 PMTook me a while to find out you need to go the "Preview" in order to upload attachments...
No. The Quick Reply (always visible under each post) does not offer attachments initially.
If you plan to add attachments, click on the dark blue Reply button and then write your reply and add your attachments.
The Quick Reply is meant for quick yes/no or two sentence replies and omits advanced features and options.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Quote from: WebEngel on June 18, 2023, 02:30:46 PMAnd btw, the DLLs reported as missing in the Log file are really missing...They are present in my Imatch-2021 folder with timestamp 2022-10, but not in the Imatch-2023 folder.
This is strange. IMatch would not even start when these DLLs are missing.

You are trying to open the database "D:\iMatch5-DB\Engel_IM6.imd5" which is almost 6 GB in size with a trial version.
If this database is older than 30 days or has been created with an older IMatch version (older than 2023), the trial version will not open it in writable mode (the file is writable). You hence cannot convert it or open it in IMatch 2023.

If you want to try IMatch 2023 before upgrading, create a new database. It will work for 30 days.

I also generally don't recommend replacing a licensed version of IMatch (2021 in this case) with a trial version of a newer IMatch version.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

WebEngel

Quote from: Mario on June 18, 2023, 07:34:06 PMYou are trying to open the database "D:\iMatch5-DB\Engel_IM6.imd5" which is almost 6 GB in size with a trial version.
If this database is older than 30 days or has been created with an older IMatch version (older than 2023), the trial version will not open it in writable mode (the file is writable). You hence cannot convert it or open it in IMatch 2023.

If you want to try IMatch 2023 before upgrading, create a new database. It will work for 30 days.

I also generally don't recommend replacing a licensed version of IMatch (2021 in this case) with a trial version of a newer IMatch version.
It is not older than 30 days, but for sure it was created with an older version, otherwise no need to migrate.  So Imatch does not support testing a new version with an existing DB.  Ok, a bit unfortunate, but well...

A new database would not allow for performance comparisons (I am confident a fresh tiny DB is faster than my 6 GB), and it would take a huge amount of time to setup for functional comparisons (the hours for setup are surely worth more than the Imatch 2023 license).

Alright, point noted.

Mario

I don't see why the trial version would not convert an IMatch 2021 that is less than 30 days old in read-only mode.
The database has an internal created timestamp and that is evaluated by the trial version.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

WebEngel

Quote from: Mario on June 18, 2023, 09:18:36 PMI don't see why the trial version would not convert an IMatch 2021 that is less than 30 days old in read-only mode.
The database has an internal created timestamp and that is evaluated by the trial version.
CREATED!

That explains it.  My DB was created either in 2004 when I started with Imatch or in 2021 when I installed Imatch 2021.

I thought we were talking about "Modified".  I recommend to make the error message more crisp.

Mario

"Databases older than 30 days" should pretty much cover it. Nothing about modified in there.
The idea is anti software piracy. People un-installing and installing a trial version every month to get IMatch running for free.

Also, it is quite unusual for a user with a licensed version to install the trial version on top of it.
I mean, I explain so well in the release notes what you get when you upgrade to the new version...either support the project or stick to the old version if you don't see anything you like in the release notes and the highlights video.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

WebEngel

Alright, don't want people to bilk you.
You are right, I knew I would pay.  Which I did
Migration was smooth as silk.

Mario

Well, then.
Thanks for your support to the IMatch project.S
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator