IMatch crash when copying keywords

Started by banzai, June 15, 2023, 09:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banzai

- I have one image selected in the file window, it has 4 hierarchical keywords assigned
- Keyword Panel is open and displays those 4 keywords
- I click the "copy" icon in toolbar (the one that looks like a clipboard with an attached page)
- Several new buttons appear (Check All / Check None / Check non-empty / Copy / Cancel)
- I click "Check All" and afterwards "Check None"
- After two seconds, IMatch is just gone, process closed.

(A side question: the text that appears with the five new buttons talks about copying metadata. I would have expected that I'm copying keywords with these buttons. Is this a misunderstanding? Or just a wrong text?)

Ciao,    banzai

banzai

Another note: I can't manage to successfully copy the four keywords from one file to another. When I just click "Check All" then "Copy", I get an activated "Paste" icon. But using it on another file which has no keywords yet, does just nothing (I click "Paste" without activating one of the two displayed checkboxes.

banzai

A third question regarding the same topic: why on earth is the "Delete all keywords" menu hidden in that very small burger menu on the right side? I just found it accidentally. I used to CTRL-click every keyword before. Shouldn't it be a big icon in the toolbar?

Mario

QuoteAnother note: I can't manage to successfully copy the four keywords from one file to another. When I just click "Check All" then "Copy", I get an activated "Paste" icon. But using it on another file which has no keywords yet, does just nothing (I click "Paste" without activating one of the two displayed checkboxes.
Select the file(s) you want to copy to and the files with the keywords you want to copy last.
Then just click on the pen in front of the keyword input field to mark the keywords as modified. Commit the changes. The keywords are applied to all selected files.

See Frequent Tasks in the Keyword Panel help.

QuoteA third question regarding the same topic: why on earth is the "Delete all keywords" menu hidden in that very small burger menu on the right side? I just found it accidentally. I used to CTRL-click every keyword before. Shouldn't it be big icon in the toolbar?
Screen estate is precious. You may work on a 4K monitor, but other users work on 1920 or 2440 pixel monitors.
A rather infrequently used command like "Delete all Keywords" should not occupy screen estate all the time.

This command is also listed in Frequent Tasks in the Keyword Panel help.

Quote(A side question: the text that appears with the five new buttons talks about copying metadata. I would have expected that I'm copying keywords with these buttons. Is this a misunderstanding? Or just a wrong text?)
The functionality you describe should be only available in the Metadata Panel, not in the Keywords Panel.
The default layout in the Metadata Panel shows keywords, but is not the ideal place to edit keywords.

There should be no crash though.
Unfortunately, we have no mixed a bug report with general questions, making it impossible to separate them.
For the future, I recommend you file a bug report for bugs and ask questions in the General Discussions board. Bug report tickets with more or less related questions are not a good thing because bug reports become archived when done and this includes the questions and answers - which might have their own use for other users otherwise.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

banzai

Ok, the way you described to copy keywords, works fine. But is it intuitive? Is it how people usually copy properties/whatever from one place to another? Not really sure. Especially when I see Copy/Paste buttons in the toolbar of the keyword panel.

QuoteScreen estate is precious. You may work on a 4K monitor, but other users work on 1920 or 2440 pixel monitors.
A rather infrequently used command like "Delete all Keywords" should not occupy screen estate all the time.
Currently, the buttons in the toolbar use less than 50% of the width of the Keyword Panel in my case. If I make it so small that no more buttons do fit, the part that shows that hierarchy from the thesaurus only display 1,5 levels and is - for my own taste - useless. One more button wouldn't hurt. You could also have more of those buttons that are also a dropdown box and group some functionality together. Still better than having functionality in a menu that looks completely unrelated.

QuoteThis command is also listed in Frequent Tasks in the Keyword Panel help.
Yes, sure, if I read the complete manual and learn everything by heart, I know all this. But who does this? Who wants to do this? Good UIs are intuitively usable, without having to learn all the nitty gritty details. And they avoid surprises.

QuoteThe functionality you describe should be only available in the Metadata Panel, not in the Keywords Panel.
But it is, see this screenshot:2023-06-15 22_16_39-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay DT.png

QuoteUnfortunately, we have no mixed a bug report with general questions, making it impossible to separate them.
Sorry for that, it was just easier to reply instead of describing it all again.

Mario

I have already fixed this glitch for the next release.
This is why your post is in "Solved for next release" now.

How often do you need to delete all keywords in a file and why?
I would consider this a very rare operation.
If you need it often, create a metadata template that deletes all keywords by assigning "nothing" to the hierarchicalSubject tag and make a Favorite from that template? You can then run it with a single click or keyboard shortcut.

QuoteYes, sure, if I read the complete manual and learn everything by heart, I know all this. But who does this?
That may be a problem because you might be missing out many commands, features, short cuts etc.
IMatch is not an app with a fairly limited number of features which can easily fit on a screen or toolbar. IMatch has enormous depth and without the will to learn about the features you're gonna use, you will miss out. You don't need to learn all of the IMatch features or all at once. But reading a short section like "Frequent Tasks in the Keywords Panel" is well worth your time.

As always, feel free to post feature requests in the feature request board.
A closed bug report is not the right place for this, because nobody will ever read it.
If your feature request is of interest for other users they can comment on it or like it, and this tells me if it would be useful for others and if I should implement it.
Maybe it would suffice to put the command into the gear button drop-down menu for better visibility.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook