Map Panel: Button "Position Target Marker at focused file"

Started by akirot, December 22, 2022, 12:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akirot

This is one for IMatch23.

Working with the map panel I regularly want to assign the very same position of an image to other images (without leaving the map panel).
A function to position the target marker at the position of the focused file (to then apply the target marker to other selected files) would come in very handy.
I know this has been discussed before (I refrained from searching for the thread right now) - but I love this Geosetter feature. Unfortunately Geosetter is not longer maintained, neither does it work for my current file formats.
I assume the major effort for implementing this feature will be the adaption of the documentation/help ;-)

But if one may have a free wish ... :-)

Mario

This feature already exists.

Select any number of files in the File Window, make sure you select the file you want as the "source" last. This way it becomes the focused file and the Map Panel centers on it.
Right-click the flag of the focused and in the popup menu choose Target Marker here.

You cannot view this attachment.

Then apply the target marker as usual.
Note: This option is available for all file flags showing, not only for the focused file flag.

QuoteUnfortunately Geosetter is not longer maintained, neither does it work for my current file formats.
IMatch is a very good replacement for GeoSetter.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

akirot

Ashes on my head!
Despite claiming to read the release notes I somehow managed to overlook (or forget?) this feature.
However - right-clicking a flag opens a new window and blocks the view of the underlying map and flags.
Couldn't the same button (with identical functionality) additionally be placed on the main menu bar of the map panel, please?
To me it looks very intuitive and would require less clicks.

What's more important right now:
Thank you for your continuous support - and
Merry Christmas!

Mario

The button in the context menu sets the target marker to the clicked flag.
A toolbar button would not know which flag you mean, and always setting it to the focused file would be too limiting.
The popup blocking the view on the map for the one second you need to click the button should not be a problem. This is how all context menus work.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

akirot

I've been misunderstood.

Always directly setting the marker to the focused file exactly is the wanted behavior.

No need to click a flag - thus opening a window that blocks the view.
(That's the window I meant, not the context menu.)

Actually there is no need for a context menu if a button in the main map menu directly assigns the marker to the focused file.
Manoeuvring  from file to file and selecting files is done in the file window (avoiding flag clicking).

Mario

QuoteAlways directly setting the marker to the focused file exactly is the wanted behavior.
I find that to limiting. I want to be able to choose the file I want to use for resetting the other files.

Let's see how many other users want the feature you are requesting.

If all you want to do is to set lat/lon for a number of files from a source file, you don't even need the map panel.
Select all files, the source file last. In the Metadata Panel, click the pen for the lat/lon/alt tags and save. This sets the GPS coordinates for all files to the coordinates of the focused file. Works with other tags too.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

akirot

I get your points.
As I don't want to take away any existing option/feature it's mainly a request for a shortcut (and simplifying the user interface).

Talking of simplifying and cleaning up the UI (of the map panel):
I always found and find the "check mark" to assign the target marker to selected files irritating.
I would prefer the "target marker with an arrow pointing away from it" as symbol. (Similar as in Geosetter)
This is just an optical (not a functional change).
As a third button a "target marker with an arrow pointing to it" could be inserted as a shortcut to set the target marker to the focussed file. (Similar as in Geosetter)

This would speed up my workflow when I'm assigning and checking file positions (from the file window).

Even Adobe changes, adds and removes buttons and symbols... :-)

Mario

QuoteTalking of simplifying and cleaning up the UI (of the map panel):
I always found and find the "check mark" to assign the target marker to selected files irritating.
I would prefer the "target marker with an arrow pointing away from it" as symbol. (Similar as in Geosetter)
IMatch uses this button type, icon and color since the Map Panel was introduced many years ago.
Would changing all that, plus all documentation that refers to it visually (via screen shots) really change anything? How many users would be confused and looking for the target marker button here, not aware that the look has changed? And it would probably cost me a 4 - 6 work hours to change the icon and all find and update all documentation and screen shots.

QuoteThis would speed up my workflow when I'm assigning and checking file positions (from the file window).
I'm sure it would for you. But since your FR has got no Likes after two weeks, I don't think many other users see a benefit.
Adding another button may even break the layout for users with small monitors and little screen estate to waste.

QuoteEven Adobe changes, adds and removes buttons and symbols... :-)
And how many users hate them for that?
Why does Ps lose all my custom keyboard shortcuts after installing an update?

I think is that most users prefer consistency.
@Other users: Let me know below.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

pmcabinet

Consistency. Absolutely. Make things simple, but no simpler - as Einstein put it.