Quick image display while image clicked and held

Started by ubacher, March 17, 2023, 08:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

In Thumbnail Preview in FileWindowTip started by Ben Mario showed how to add an image to the the File Window Tip.
This works but has several limitations.
I would like to see:

Ctrl clicking the thumbnail  should display the image full?screen as long as the mouse click is held.

As an alternative one could have a second icon beside the File window tip icon which would only display the image.
This might be easier to implement.

Reason for all this - as usual because of the limited screen real estate - is that opening the viewer or the quick view
just for a quick look takes too long/ is inconvenient.

Mario

QuoteCtrl clicking the thumbnail  should display the image full?screen as long as the mouse click is held.
Ctrl+clicking a thumbnail is currently used to select/de-select individual files and/or to focus a specific file.
I don't think this should be changed.

Holding down the <SPACE> bar activates the fly-over mode for the Quick View Panel.

QuoteAs an alternative one could have a second icon beside the File window tip icon which would only display the image.
This might be easier to implement.
There is not really room next (aka on the left or right of the info icon). Adding another row for a new icon is doable, but would probably shift other icons "out" of the thumbnail panel, unless the user uses very large panels, which is probably not the case on a small screen.

Quoteis that opening the viewer or the quick view just for a quick look takes too long/ is inconvenient.

The Viewer and Quick View Panel pack a lot of logic...

- on-demand temporary or permanent cache file generation
- proxy file
- version proxy file
- applying virtual transformations
- preloading files in background threads for speedy display when the users switches between files or uses <SPACE> and hover
- initializing all the graphic card and DirectX rendering plumbing during Viewer startup / Quick View Panel open

Implementing a feature like the one requested is certainly doable.
But it is a lot more work than users think, especially when dealing with RAW files, cache images, versioning and proxies.

Let's see how many Likes this gets.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

I tried making up a file window tip with only the image. This has the only disadvantage of not centering the
image on the screen. I am thus thinking that - if this centering could be done - one could have
a "second" file window tip - and it could be set up by the user to show the image.

Even if this would be restricted as to what images it can show would I find it very useful.

sinus

Yep, I had also created the file window tip with the image. This worked fine, I could even use different sizes, depending on the format (nef, jpg ...).
This worked really good.

But the big problem was, that I could seldom see this picture centered.
This would not be a very big problem, but depending if I clicked on a thumb, what was in the first or last row of the file window, the file window tip changed the position and the image was cut of or I could see it only half. And this happens specially, if you make the picture quite big.

If I could set the position of the file window tip fixed, not depending, where the thumb is, on what I click (ganz zuoberst oder ganz unten), then for me personally my problem would be solved.

Because I have seen, that we can do a lot with XAML and such variables, what you showed as example in the other thread, and that would be enough for me.
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,13072.0.html

Using space and hovering over the thumbs is nice, but the quick-view-panel is not always open and not just near the thumb.
Over all, the File window Tip is a cool thing, and could be enhanced. But of course, as usually, it depends on how many users would need it and how much work is it for you.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quote from: sinus on March 17, 2023, 08:39:38 PMIf I could set the position of the file window tip fixed, not depending, where the thumb is, on what I click (ganz zuoberst oder ganz unten), then for me personally my problem would be solved.
To do this, just wrap the image in a <Border> tag that has the same width as the File Window tip (the Width in pixel setting):

<Border Width="500" Background="#505050"><Image Source="{File.CacheFileName|default:{File.FullName}}" MaxHeight="300" MaxWidth="300" Stretch="Uniform" HorizontalAlignment="Center"></Image></Border>
My File Window tip is set to 500 pixels.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus