Collections>Pins>Red (Improperly Updated)

Started by Darius1968, November 08, 2022, 04:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

The attached log file has a recording of the events relevant to the following screenshot - I simply added 8 files to Collections>Pins>Red. 
The subsequent update was set to 8 files, whereas, to the right, in the file window the total file count is clearly 27. 

Updating - via F5 - in both the file window and in the Collections Panel did not correct or update anything. 

So, again, the log file is for troubleshooting as to the reason for this. 

Thanks. 

Mario

You added 8 files to the collection how?
Is IMatch busy in the background processing files or face or something (check Info & Activity Panel).
This might delay collection updates for the tree controls.
If the File Window reloads it will see the correct number of files, but the tree control does not do snapshots and may wait until th background processes are finished or until there is some idle time.

Please provide steps to reproduce this behavior.
If I can reproduce it, I can fix it.

The log file contains a ton of warnings about Windows running low on memory. Almost 90% memory in use.
IMatch uses only about 6GB in peak, when the Viewer was open. The system has 16 GB of RAM.

I see  a warning about an invalid search term when accessing the database. Very unusual.
You used a regular expression 2022\\(09|10|11) with which feature?
File Window search bar? Filter Panel? Formula category?

Some error messages from the sorter about missing files.
Many warnings about reading files or creating cache files for some files.
Apparently IMatch is busy ingesting files in the background. There are also write-backs happening.

The log file covers almost 20 hours of IMatch usage. Way too much noise to see anything.
At which time did the problem you are reporting happen? When you copied the log file?

The last warning is a low memory warning. Maybe close some other applications or reboot your system to clear junk out of memory.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Quote from: Mario on November 08, 2022, 05:03:04 PMYou added 8 files to the collection how?
Wile in Categories View (I did have a filter applied under the Variables Panel), I simply selected all 8 files that were displayed in the File Window at that time, and I clicked the icon for the Red Pin.  And, when I switched to Collections View is when I noticed what is described in the last screenshot. 

Quote from: Mario on November 08, 2022, 05:03:04 PMIs IMatch busy in the background processing files or face or something (check Info & Activity Panel).
The Info & Activity Panel shows that there are no entries in the queue. 

Quote from: Mario on November 08, 2022, 05:03:04 PMThe log file contains a ton of warnings about Windows running low on memory. Almost 90% memory in use.
IMatch uses only about 6GB in peak, when the Viewer was open. The system has 16 GB of RAM.
On my end, Task Manager reports that I have just over 5 GB of RAM available. 

Quote from: Mario on November 08, 2022, 05:03:04 PMI see  a warning about an invalid search term when accessing the database. Very unusual.
File Window Search Bar. 

Quote from: Mario on November 08, 2022, 05:03:04 PMThe log file covers almost 20 hours of IMatch usage. Way too much noise to see anything.
At which time did the problem you are reporting happen? When you copied the log file?
Yes.  This post is all about what happened just before I posted the log file. 

Quote from: Mario on November 08, 2022, 05:03:04 PMThe last warning is a low memory warning. Maybe close some other applications or reboot your system to clear junk out of memory.
The only other program I had open at the time was Firefox. 

Mario

Quote from: Darius1968 on November 08, 2022, 07:15:07 PM
QuoteI see  a warning about an invalid search term when accessing the database. Very unusual.
File Window Search Bar. 
Do you have Advanced Search enabled together with regexp?

When you enable Advanced search ( and ) have a special meaning and are used to enclose sub-expressions. This produces an invalid regular expression, which explains the problem. Don't mix these two settings when your regexp contains ( ) AND OR NOT.
See The Search Engine for info on how to escape ( and ) in advanced search expressions. I don't know if this can be mixed with regular expressions - some things are too complex even for IMatch and not worth implementing.

The invalid search expression caused the database system to return errors. Maybe this was the cause of the tree not updating immediately. I don't know.

As I said above, if you can find steps to reproduce this, I will look into it.
I have not experienced this so far and so I don't know where even to begin researching this...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook