Permanently disable telemetry reminders?

Started by Roter Rabe, February 19, 2022, 10:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roter Rabe

Is there any way to permanently disable the telemetry reminders that pop up from time to time?

One of the main reasons I switched to IMatch from Adobe is their aggressive telemetry. I feel very strongly about this and I will never change my mind on this issue. I know this is very petty, but the telemetry nudges make me quite angry and I'd rather not see them.

Mario

How often do you see this message?

Keep in mind that I'm not a big company like Adobe. I have no sinister intents.
Only I see telemetry data, and it is deleted automatically after 3 to 6 months, depending on the type of telemetry data.
I use this to learn how IMatch is used, and to improve things.
No personal information is transmitted, and I have no way to find out which telemetry data comes from which user. And I don't care. I don't make money from this. This actually costs me money.
I don't sell the data, I don't give the data away and nobody would care for IMatch telemetry data anyway.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Roter Rabe

Quote from: Mario on February 19, 2022, 10:57:43 AM
How often do you see this message?

Keep in mind that I'm not a big company like Adobe. I have no sinister intents.
Only I see telemetry data, and it is deleted automatically after 3 to 6 months, depending on the type of telemetry data.
I use this to learn how IMatch is used, and to improve things.
No personal information is transmitted, and I have no way to find out which telemetry data comes from which user. And I don't care. I don't make money from this. This actually costs me money.
I don't sell the data, I don't give the data away and nobody would care for IMatch telemetry data anyway.

I have zero reason to doubt you, and in no way did I mean to insinuate you use the data for anything but product improvement. I still would rather not take part in the telemetry program. It's more of a matter of principle for me and I realise I am not 100% rational about this. I was just wondering if there was any way to turn off the reminder.

Mario

How often do you see the reminder?
IMatch should ask every 30 days. Because I really would like to have as many users using telemetry. The more users,  the more reliable the numbers are.
If I decide to drop a feature because only 0.5% of the users participating in telemetry use it, it's better when 80% of the user base allow telemetry than 20% of the user base.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Roter Rabe

Quote from: Mario on February 19, 2022, 11:46:47 AM
Occasionally? I didn't really keep track. Once every two weeks perhaps?

sinus

MAYBE telemetry could be interesting also for users, if you, Mario, would create a post every month or so with the most interests aspect of the data.
I mean, for some users it is maybe also interesting, how and what other users does with IMatch.
If I would see, for example, that a lot of users does use events or other parts of IMatch, maybe I would be wondering and try such a element of IMatch, what I never looked at it before.

You have uploaded in some posts some of these datas, but only seldom and for specific problems, related to a post.

I have no idea, if this is so, like I wrote, but for me this would be surely true.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Roter Rabe

Quote from: Mario on February 19, 2022, 11:46:47 AM
IMatch should ask every 30 days. Because I really would like to have as many users using telemetry. The more users,  the more reliable the numbers are.
If I decide to drop a feature because only 0.5% of the users participating in telemetry use it, it's better when 80% of the user base allow telemetry than 20% of the user base.

I get that. But you should also understand that I don't want to use telemetry and no amount of reminders will make me change my mind. And at that point, the reminders are just annoying. It feels paternalistic.

Look, I know I am not entitled to you making any changes to your software. I was asking for a feature that I now know doesn't exist (switching off telemetry reminders). You apparently think it's a good idea to keep them in, so I guess that's that. A pity but I can definitely live with it.

Keep up the good work!

Mario

I think I will keep it as it is.
Feel free to add a feature request in the feature request board.

IMatch once had a "disable update check forever" option (not just the options to check every week, two weeks, ...).

Then we had bug reports about bugs fixed months ago. It turned out, the reporting users had disabled the update check - for no specific reasons. Privacy, you know. And then never checked for updates themselves.
So, I changed IMatch to mandatory check for updates every 30 days.
Two or three users reported this as a "problem".
But we never had the "I work with bugs because I actively prevented IMatch from checking for updates." again.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Roter Rabe

Quote from: Mario on February 20, 2022, 10:08:32 AM
I think I will keep it as it is.
Feel free to add a feature request in the feature request board.

Thanks, will do!

QuoteIMatch once had a "disable update check forever" option (not just the options to check every week, two weeks, ...).

Then we had bug reports about bugs fixed months ago. It turned out, the reporting users had disabled the update check - for no specific reasons. Privacy, you know. And then never checked for updates themselves.
So, I changed IMatch to mandatory check for updates every 30 days.
Two or three users reported this as a "problem".
But we never had the "I work with bugs because I actively prevented IMatch from checking for updates." again.

Well, that's not a problem that will occur with this feature methinks.