"It looks like no WIC codec is installed which can handle this file"

Started by jarraun, February 04, 2022, 06:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarraun

Hi Imatch Users.

When I run Support Wic Diagnostic on a NEF file I get this:
"It looks like no WIC codec is installed which can handle this file"
The only installed codec is the last nef codec version 1.31.2 but it seems not to be recognised.
Photools Raw processing is disabled.
Please see attached files. Any idea will be welcome. Thank you.

Best regards
Javier

Mario

WIC CopyPixels failed is a rare error I have not seen in the wild for a long time.
This means that WIC could (apparently) decoded the RAW data, but could not "copy" it into a usable "thing" IMatch could use.
So, no luck with WIC. The infinite joy of using proprietary and undocumented RAW formats.

I see

Codec 'Nikon .NEF Raw File Decoder' (Vendor: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000)

in the list of codecs, which indicates that you have installed another codec for NEF files, from an unknown vendor?
What's that about?

In any case, IMatch should automatically fall-back to LibRaw and process the images that way. Does it not?

You did not ask any question so I'm not sure what your post is about.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jarraun

Thank you Mario.

• "Codec 'Nikon .NEF Raw File Decoder' (Vendor: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000)" is what I have when Nef codec is installed, once I uninstall it IMatch_WICDiag changes (see attached). So (Vendor: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000) seems to be what downloaded Nef codec from Nikon has established.
  • With or without Nef codec I can process NEF files within Imatch, I also can see correct thumbnails which reflect changes in NEF´s edited in NX Studio but I never can see this changes in viewer. You are right LibRaw seems to go to rescue.
  • What i really care about is problems with vertical NEF images rotation but I´ve found a workaround for them and don´t want to overcharge you with more problems. So I don´t need more assistence for the moment. Thanks again.

Mario

1. Then the Nikon coded seems to be having a problem. CopyPixels is implemented as part of the codec.

2. A NEF contains a thumbnail, a preview and the RAW data.
If you see changes you've done in the Nikon software only in the thumbnail, maybe it is not updating the embedded preview?
IMatch prefers the embedded preview when it is large enough so when your software updates the preview, you should see changes done to the RAW, right?

I have never used Nikon NX and I don't know if anybody does.
I don't know any software (except maybe the old Nikon Capture in its days) that actually modifies the image data in the NEF.
This is a common workflow for DNG files, bit not for NEF files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook