Non identical files categorized as Duplicates

Started by rcrigan, January 07, 2022, 12:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcrigan

Hello all. I've initiated a new database and find that of the 70,000 files imported 20,000 are put in to the DUPLICATES category. When I inspect these duplicates I see that they are not only visually different but also have different file names, in some cases different file formats.
I don't know where in Preferences I specify how files are classed as duplicates (binary or visually) but in any case I don't understand how such different files are treated this way. The so-called duplicates are located in the same directory. Screen grab attached.
I'm using Imatch 2021 and have very recently upgraded from a much earlier version so please excuse my ignorance. Any help much appreciated.
Robert, Australia

Mario

File names are irrelevant.
The IMatch help system explains how this works: Searching for Duplicate Files
(I just searched for dup and found this at the top of the results).

Duplicates can be found by using the visual query data IMatch creates (visually similar images), visually identical and in the same format and binary identical (100% duplicates).
So far no problems were reported.

Note: I have removed the attached image. Posting images of identifiable persons without their written permission is illegal in many countries (EU).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Ps.: If you have two images which are wrongly identified as visually or binary identical, please send them to me.
I have never found such files and as far as I recall, no user ever reported this as a problem.
Also, did you perhaps forced a rescan of some of the folders containing these files? This might produce a->b and b->a duplicates, because of how the algorithm works.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rcrigan

Mario you've made it all a lot clearer. Images that were rotated or renamed have been marked as duplicates, which is as you intend. I had not been aware of that. However you ask me to send you any pairs marked duplicate that do not appear so. How do I  know which files Imatch considers duplicates? In the duplicates category are some unique files, i.e. In a portrait session I have photos with different poses and a photo of one pose is marked duplicate. But it's just one file, where is its duplicate?

Tveloso

If you select one or more files in the Duplicates Category, and then press Ctrl-M,I, IMatch will open a Result Window with each File's duplicate.
--Tony

rcrigan

Thanks for the suggestion Tveloso but I'm lost. I select a number of files in the Duplicates category, type Ctrl+M then type I but no results window appears. The attached screen grab shows nine files selected, three of which (marked by arrows) are clearly not identical to others. Any advice?
Thanks, Robert

ADMIN: Removed photo of identifiable persons. Posting such images without explicit permission of each person is illegal in the EU (this community is hosted in Germany).

Mario

<Ctrl>+<M>,<I> means: Press Ctrl+M, release and then press <I> within one second. See Keyboard Cheat Sheet for details.

You can just run Search menu > Duplicates or Search menu > Copies to find visually identical or binary identical files for the currently selected files. See How do I?... find duplicate files?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator