Recording notes

Started by Stefanjan, October 12, 2021, 12:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefanjan

I have been exploring how I can record information other than description within iMatch. For example how I processed an image, judges score and comments in a competition etc.

I'd prefer to leave the description field as a description of the photo and store this type of note elsewhere.

I've started using the imatch Core data "Instructions" field for this sort of information. Is there a way to display this field in a panel like the App manager File Notes panel?

I appreciate that it is possible to store notes in the Attribute Set IMatchNotes but feel that I need these stored in the file metadata so it is visible across my synchronised devices.

I'm also wondering what the best way would be to store data at a folder level e.g. notes about the shoot, who organised it, weather conditions etc.

Mario

I recommend just adding the tags you want to view and edit to a Metadata Panel layout. This is how all this is designed to work.
The MD panel layout has all the features, from copy & paste to spell checking.

The XMP instructions tag is already contained in the Default Metadata Panel layout.
If you want to add more text, just configure the layout to display more rows for this tag. See Configuring Tags
You can also move it to a different position, use a different title.

The tag is of course also available everywhere you can work with Variables, from the File Window to Import & Export to Design & Print.

The App Manager is for displaying the apps installed on your system. And the File Notes panel is a small toy app written for a very specific purpose.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

Thanks Mario, sounds like you have pointed me in the right direction. I'd forgotten about configuring the meta data panel. I'll have to read up on that.

thrinn

Quote from: Stefanjan on October 12, 2021, 12:35:32 PM
I'm also wondering what the best way would be to store data at a folder level e.g. notes about the shoot, who organised it, weather conditions etc.
For a short notice, each folder (also each category) has in its "Properties" a description field. But if you want to store more complex information or longer texts, it is always possible to create a text document in this folder - similar to a "Readme.txt" you often find in a software installation folder. IMatch is not restricted to handling pictures and videos. Depending on the format, the Quick View panel will also be able to show the contents of this - see, for example, HTML, CSS and other 'Web' Files.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

For per-file extra information, an XMP tag (if you want to store the data with the file) or Attribute (if you don't want to, or don't want to be restricted by metadata formats), IMatch Attributes are great.

For other objects like folders or categories or timeline nodes, IMatch has description fields in the properties of the object.
When I group files into Events, I fill out the extra info in the Event Story.

For more complex per-folder information, I use the folder description or just put a HTML file in the folder, with instructions, additional information and sometimes links.
The Quick View panel shows HTML nicely and I have control over the look and format:

Example HTML file:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
    <title>Info</title>
    <style>
        html {
        font-family: sans-serif;
        line-height: 1.15;
        color: #aaa;
        background-color: #333;
        }               
    </style>
</head>
<body>
    <h2>This Folder Contains</h2>
    <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.</p>
    <h3>Remember</h3>
    <p>Proin sollicitudin mattis diam. Suspendisse semper rutrum quam. Sed a ligula.</p>
</body>
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on October 12, 2021, 05:43:51 PM
For more complex per-folder information, I use the folder description or just put a HTML file in the folder, with instructions, additional information and sometimes links.
Adding an HTML file sounds the way to go. Been experimenting with this. Thought I might use Microsoft Word and save as an HTML. While it works, Word creates loads of other files and complex HTML.

Wondering whether you hard code the HTML or use an editor. Which one do you use? I have Notepad++ and Kompozer but wondering whether there is anything more WYSIWYG.

I guess I could set up an empty formatted file and then add it to favourites so I can copy it into new folders.

Mario

I hand-code HTML ... because...developer  ;D

The structure is always the same, only the content changes. I keep the HTML source (see above) in IMatch Notepad and paste it into a new _readme.html document in the folder when I need it.

When I do projects, there is usually documentation in Office/HTML.
But these readmes are great for my test suite, and for folders containing files send by IMatch users to keep notes, memory aids, links to community posts or release notes, ticket numbers etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on October 14, 2021, 04:41:08 PM
I hand-code HTML ... because...developer  ;D

The structure is always the same, only the content changes. I keep the HTML source (see above) in IMatch Notepad and paste it into a new _readme.html document in the folder when I need it.

When I do projects, there is usually documentation in Office/HTML.
But these readmes are great for my test suite, and for folders containing files send by IMatch users to keep notes, memory aids, links to community posts or release notes, ticket numbers etc.

This is a great tip.
I do have also something like this. I have one such small html on the desktop.
Then I open it simply with notepad or  mostly with Visual Studio Code .... change something and throw it into a folder.
Because IMatch is very quickly, I can see the result in the Quick View.

If then is something wrong or I forget to add or I want change a color or make the font bigger and so on, I change it and not long ago, IMatch reflects this change.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

There is a very useful extension for Visual Studio Code named Live Server from Ritwick Day. Just search for Live Server in the VSCode extension panel.

This is a simple web server. After installing it, open your HTML document and press <Alt>+<O>.
Your default browser launches and shows the HTML document.
The cool thing is, when you change the HTML and save, Live Server automatically reloads the HTML page in the browser, keeping the scroll position etc. You can immediately see the results of your changes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on October 14, 2021, 05:50:42 PM
There is a very useful extension for Visual Studio Code named Live Server from Ritwick Day. Just search for Live Server in the VSCode extension panel.

This is a simple web server. After installing it, open your HTML document and press <Alt>+<O>.
Your default browser launches and shows the HTML document.
The cool thing is, when you change the HTML and save, Live Server automatically reloads the HTML page in the browser, keeping the scroll position etc. You can immediately see the results of your changes.

Thanks Mario,  :)
Very cool tip, I think.
I will surely do so!

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

ubacher

For simple text notes it is enough to use minimal html code.

Here a starting template which you can use add your notes:
<html>

<body>
<h1>Here are my NOTES</h1>

<p>
This is the first paragraph.</p>
<p>And this is the second paragraph.</p>
</body>
</html>

Just use a simple text editor.