iMatch: Metadata with Video files

Started by abgestumpft, October 07, 2021, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abgestumpft

Hi,

I'm currently checking in a Test-Catalog how I could work with Metadata of Video files (so far I don't have Videos in my iMatch DB).
Most of my video files are .mp4 and some older .m2ts (both H264). In general XMP tags seem to work fine: can also be saved in .mp4 video file (but not to the old .m2ts files).

Metadata I would use and have tested:
GPS Data -> OK, saved in XMP data
Location Information -> OK, saved in XMP data
Keywords -> OK, saved in XMP data
Persons -> OK, done via "Link Persons to file", saved in XMP (As side note: Face Detection is also running on the video thubmnail)

CameraModel:
All videofiles I checked have the Camera Model information in different Makernote tags:
Olympus:                Olympus::prms\44\Model\0
Sony (old Handycam .m2ts):    H264::MDPM\228\Model\0
Nikon:               Nikon::NCTG\2\Model\0

Is there any (XMP) Tag were this can be stored, and iMatch makes use of it?
So far I only found XMP::xmpDM\cameraModel\CameraModel\0, which also works, but iMatch does not display this as Camera Model (seems to use globally Exif::Main\272\Model\0). Now I made a special Layout for videos, that will use XMP::xmpDM\cameraModel\CameraModel\0 as Camera info.
So far this is working ok.

Lens:
None of the files (with exception of one file form a friends Nikon Z6 II: Nikon::NCTG\17867828\LensModel\0) have the lens information stored.
The Lens of the Nikon is detected by iMatch (I think via the Composite:LensID tag reported by exiftool).
For the other files I would add them manually to XMP tag: XMP::exifEX\LensModel\LensModel\0

My plan would be:
Most Metadata (GPS, Location, Keywords): use them the same way like on Fotos
Persons: assign them via "Link Persons to file"
Camera: from time to time I filter on all video files (on the three tags above) and then assign the CameraModel also to XMP::xmpDM\cameraModel\CameraModel\0
Lens: were I remember what it was and in future I would assign the lens to XMP::exifEX\LensModel\LensModel\0, using exact same Names as Exiftool -> then they are shown under the same category like the fotos.

Can this be done like that, or is it a bad idea to store such information in video files?
Any other ideas / comments?

Mario

QuoteIs there any (XMP) Tag were this can be stored, and iMatch makes use of it?

IMatch can make use of any XMP tag. And EXIF. And QuickTime. And ID3. And...
IMatch allows you to put into XMP whatever you see fit.
IMatch also allows you to use any tag via variables, in File Window layouts, in the Metadata Panel, for sorting, searching, categories.

Speak to the standard bodies in your business or ask videographers about what best to put where.
Video metadata is far worse than image metadata - and image metadata is a big mess.

QuoteiMatch does not display this as Camera Model

Display where? What tag did you use? The short code tag "model"? This tag is filled from XMP/EXIF, not from the XMP document management property you quote above. Totally different things, used by totally different tools and applications. If you want to see the DMM tag somewhere, use the matching tag or File Window attribute.

QuoteFor the other files I would add them manually to XMP tag: XMP::exifEX\LensModel\LensModel\0

Lens tags are not meant to be written. This can cause havoc in other applications. Don't write metadata tags (except save user-controlled XMP) unless you have read the corresponding XMP and EXIF metadata standards. And understood what ExifTool makes of all this during write-back. Not even I know that in detail.

Don't make your life too hard by making all this to complicated.
Keep things simple.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

abgestumpft

QuoteDisplay where? What tag did you use? The short code tag "model"? This tag is filled from XMP/EXIF, not from the XMP document management property you quote above. Totally different things, used by totally different tools and applications. If you want to see the DMM tag somewhere, use the matching tag or File Window attribute.
By that I mean the "Camera" / "Model" Info in the different iMatch default layouts. There it seems to use "{File.MD.Exif::Main\272\Model\0}".
This is not in use for Video files (each vendor uses its own one) -> not working here. I totally understand it is implemented like this and therefore I'm looking for another way to use one global tag for the Camera info in iMatch -> thinking about XMP::xmpDM\cameraModel\CameraModel\0

QuoteLens tags are not meant to be written. This can cause havoc in other applications. Don't write metadata tags (except save user-controlled XMP) unless you have read the corresponding XMP and EXIF metadata standards. And understood what ExifTool makes of all this during write-back. Not even I know that in detail.
When checking this screenshot:

the MakerNotes for have a lock sign. But xmpDM CameraModel (=XMP::xmpDM\cameraModel\CameraModel\0) and XMP LensModel (=XMP::exifEX\LensModel\LensModel\0) have no lock. And those two are the ones I want to use for storing that info in video files.
Of course I'm not sure that is a good idea, that's why I ask  8)

Mario

Do whatever works for you. Just make sure that these tags are not wiped when IMatch has to re-import a file and that nothing funny happens during write-back.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook