Auto tagger is able to use translation service for google cloud vision

Started by spiff, October 05, 2021, 02:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiff

Hello,

i would like to have an automatic translation for key words suggested by google in autotagger. Maybe it is even possible with an free translation service, otherwise is a paid translation service via google also fine. See the discussion https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=11864.0.

spiff

Another idea. It would be sufficient if imatch in the tab keywordmapping outputs all unmatched keywords in a .txt file. I could translate this .txt file manually with little effort for example with Deepl and let imatch read the translated .txt file. Imatch then automatically assigns the terms. As of now imatch can translate the terms. Done.

Mario

When developing the AT I considered this.

But given the rather small variety of keywords Google uses (depending on your images of course), I think the built-in mapping in the AT does the job.
Just map the incoming tag to one or more keywords in one or more languages. Easy.

Not many users use AT, and only some of them use Google (for privacy reasons).
Even learning about the different APIs, implementing several interfaces for various services (Google, DeepL, Microsoft, ...?)  (I don't want to force my users to send their data to Google) etc. would require quite a lot of my time time and money. Looking at the total usage counts of AutoTagger, it's not worth it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

spiff

I tested the different services. google is way ahead and lets say usable. Imagga and so on are much less powerful. About data security; i do have a Android smarthphone and a google account, hello google foto, they already have all the data. About the interface i asked you, i thought about just a simple .txt file with all keywords output line by line, like you do it when saving thesaurus as a .txt file. I translate this list manually, imatch reads the translated list (which of course must have exactly as many terms in the same order) and maps the translated keywords. This would be absolut simple and independent of the translation service.

Jingo

Just a thought to test out your idea - you could manipulate the existing service-google.js file while stores the keywords results... a extra line or two of code would create your desired txt file from the api request results.  Then, you can manually add the translated keywords to the selected files via the keyword panel and a copy/paste from your translated txt file.

spiff

Now there is imatch 2023 and there seems to be enough users who use AI so that an imatch own AI is available that can keyword in german.

I have tested the AI and found that imatch's own keywording is very buggy, sometimes no keywords, another time many wrong keywords are suggested. With no image was the imatch AI keywording error-free, or satisfactory. Google AI keywording on the other hand makes hardly any errors. I still have the need that imatch can translate the keywording of google Vision AI keywording, or as asked here provides simple tools allowing me a translation with little effort.

I have not licensed imatch 2023 because this is still not solved, this is the first time that I see too little added value for me in a new imatch version.

Mario

I'm sad to hear that the IMatch AI is not as good as Google for your use case.
Probably Google has more money and the larger model.

The Google AI only provides keywords in English.
In order to translate them into other languages, you can either use the built-in features in IMatch AutoTagger (add a mapping for each keyword to translate it, there are only 1000 or so keywords in the Google AI, and most you will probably never use).

Or, I could extend AutoTagger to send each English keyword returned to Google Translate, generating additional cost for users who need this. Seeing that your request has zero likes after two years, I doubt many users will have a need for this.

Another method would be to setup a generic translation file which has all the Google keywords (which are not documented, as far as I know) and their corresponding translation. I did something similar for the IMatch AI, which currently supports English and German.

But that is basically the same a user can do by setting up mappings for keywords once in AutoTagger. Then the translation is automatic. You only need to setup a new mapping when Google returns a new keyword.
Assuming the Google AI has 1000 keywords, and for your images only 200 are used, this should take an hour or two.

QuoteI have not licensed imatch 2023

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook