Explanation needed: when (&when not) are kb shortcuts working ( Fx,Y)

Started by ubacher, October 24, 2013, 11:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

I  have not been able to figure out how (when) keyboard shortcuts work. ( lets concentrate for this discussion on
those opening/closing panels (F9,x) )
It sure does not work reliably but without understanding how they work I can't tell if there are problems (bugs).

Example F9 I opens info panel. Again F9 I and it closes.
              F9 Q opens Quickview, F9 Q again does not close it.

This will have to do with where the keyboard focus is - (right?). There seems to be no visual indication.

And - I assume - it will have to do with in which panel what shortcut is handled or not.

(I am still on the steep part of the learning curve!)

Mario

IMatch sends keyboard shortcuts to the currently active (focused) window.
Under some conditions, a window may get focus which does not handle shortcuts. If this happens, just click on the IMatch window or the file window or a panel to ensure that IMatch has the focus and then use the keyboard shortcut.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

I suppose one should be able to see, one way or another, which window/panel has the keyboard focus.
But there isn't. Which means we are reduced to trial and error:

1. Press the key which should do something.
2. If it does not work select (click into) a panel which you think might be set up to handle the keystrokes.
3. Try again.

Let's see if other users have problems with this and comment here.

Mario

The window with the focus is usually hightlighed. But that depends on the application.
In IMatch, you can tell whether the caption of the panel is shown in the active color, for example.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

Can you tell me where the kb focus is - on the attached screenshot?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Can't. Can be anywhere, most likely not on IMatch. None of the panels is highlighted. Working in the Viewer is always prone to focus issues, especially if you are working full screen while the Windows taskbar is overlayed. Just click somewhere outside the image or in a panel to make sure that IMatch has the focus.

Also, the Viewer is a separate window. Many keyword shortcuts of course only work when the IMatch main window has the input focus. Only one window can have the input focus at a time. The viewer has it's own set of commands and keyboard shortcuts.

If you are in doubt which window has the focus: Give it a click to make sure.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

Mario

The active window is usually highlighted. Check, for example, the caption bars of the panels in IMatch. When you activate one, the caption bar color changes.
Windows 8 (I think your screen looks like W8) has changed many useful things, this included. The clear Aero colors and indicators are gone. I cannot tell from your screen shot, but looking at the rather grey and dull caption bar above the viewer, I would say it is not the active window. When you click somewhere next to the image, or the film strip, does the caption color change?

Again: This is a Windows functionality. If in doubt, just click the window you want to receive your keyboard input.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

Win 7.

Another screenshot to show my frustration: two highlighted panels even though I clicked in another.

[attachment deleted by admin]

joel23

Quote from: ubacher on October 25, 2013, 09:37:29 PM
Win 7.

Another screenshot to show my frustration: two highlighted panels even though I clicked in another.
I have the same. When clicking in the Filter pane it does not change the focus to it. This explains why I always had to click twice when I want to apply a string to the filter with CRTL-V
regards,
Joerg