Rename files with renamer

Started by frankdarwin, September 06, 2021, 05:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

I try to rename files with the renamer and also assign a unique number.
But I do not succeed.
I searched in the help but did not find a solution for my problem.

I have configured the Renamer as follows:

Step 1: Original filename
Step 2: Replace Text before
Step 3 Unique Number (to prevdent...)
See attachments.

In the preview I see no change.
Where is my thinking error?

Mario

Step 3: Unique number.
Please see the documentation again. This step only appends a number when your steps produces duplicate file names (as the name indicates).
To add a unique number, use the global sequence number feature.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

I probably did not express myself correctly.
I would like to achieve the following:

All files should be renamed to aaaaaa-uniqu-number.JPG.
Therefore, in Step 2, I want to replace everything before .JPG with "aaaaaa" and then append a unique number to "aaaaaa".
What am I doing wrong?

Mario

Just use a text step with aaaaa- and a sequence number step.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

Thank you! Now it works.
But unfortunately it is very tedious to test the renaming with the preview function.

After each closing of the preview, IM exits without any message and dump.
Yes I know, you already pointed out several times that IM creates a dump if the problem was caused by IM and otherwise there must be other causes for this crash.
But after crashes in other actions I spent hours looking for possible other causes.  Unfortunately without success.

Therefore I have attached the log file here once again. Maybe you can find the reason for the crashes.

In this log file I noticed especially the following message:

"W> Spelling: Cannot find a dictionary for language 'de' or failed to load.  'V:\developmentIMatch5\src\IMatchNG\IMatch.cpp(3839)'"

Mario

No similar problem was ever reported. I use the Renamer every day, many times.

If you somehow make it crash on your PC only, please uploaded the DUMP file as instructed. This shows me if the problem was caused by IMatch, or by some other software on your PC.
See The Debug Dump File
If IMatch does not produce a DUMP, the problem was most likely caused by a file system driver, shell handler or virus checker hooking into file system routines on your PC.

The warning you mention just tells you that you have not installed a spell checker dictionary for your language - thus preventing IMatch from doing spell checking for you.
IMatch also displays a corresponding message, unless you disable it with "Don't show again", which you probably did.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator